Plasma Sag???

Discussion in 'Displays' started by jeff_c, Jul 16, 2006.

1. jeff_c

jeff_c Auditioning

I am looking into buying a plasma tv, but I have heard that the screen will sag over time. This is said to be due to the weight of the materials used in the screen. Is this true? Thanks

2. DougR

DougR Second Unit

First I heard of that one?? [​IMG]

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

That's because it's not true. [​IMG]

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

OK, I wanted to post some info, other than just simply saying that this isn't true, because now you'll realize what poppycock it is. (This has been brought up in the past in regards to toslink optical cables too, believe it or not.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_transition

"A material’s glass transition temperature, Tg, is the temperature below which molecules have little relative mobility"

Silica is silicon dioxide which is "glass" which is what most plasma screens are made out of (i.e., "8th generation glass"), which is the highest value in the table, at 1175C. That is ... 2147 deg F. A plasma can run hot, but not that hot. [​IMG]

5. jeff_c

jeff_c Auditioning

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Not true. Or, someone better tell Panasonic, because they are going to sell a 103" set soon. [​IMG]

Plasma's weigh a ton? I had a 32" Toshiba CRT that weighed 150 lbs. My 37" plasma weighs about 65 lbs. Even the new 58" Panasonic plasma weighs less a lot less than 150 lbs. And that's a much bigger difference in screen area than the diagonal measurement implies.

To be honest, I don't think a Mac Rumor site is the best place to get info about plasmas, LCD, etc. [​IMG]

7. DougR

DougR Second Unit

Now this guy sounds like he REALLY knows what he's talking about !!! [​IMG]

8. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Caution: PhD in mechanical engineering needed to fully understand this, or you can just take my word.

The importance of keeping a plasma TV upright is that, if you hold it by the ends while it is lying flat, it will sag in the middle to the point where bending stresses cause the glass to break.

Even when upright, if the frame and/or the surface on which the TV sits supports the plasma panel only at the ends, there will be some minute sagging in the middle. A properly designed TV (including the frame) will not experience noticeable sagging of the glass panel.

Take an ordinary wooden board quite long relative to its wideth such as an eight foot 2x4. lay it on its side and support it at the extreme ends. You will notice some give when you press down in the middle. If you stand the board on edge, it takes more effort to push down on the middle and see noticeable sag, but you can do it. The plasma panel is tall relative to its width but in the worst case situation for sagging (support only at ends) still some sagging can be measured with elaborate test equipement. The sag can become a "permanent" "set".

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

9. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

And I had a 56" Toshiba CRT-based RPTV that wieghed close to 300 lbs. (It was a real bitch getting it and in and out of my 3rd floor walk-up. [​IMG])

Somebody sounds - well, let's be charitable and say, "confused". [​IMG]

Regards,

Joe