Plasma Recommendation Needed....

Discussion in 'Displays' started by John Doh, Apr 26, 2004.

1. John Doh

John Doh Stunt Coordinator

I have a buddy that is building a new house and needs a big TV for his gameroom. I had him talked in to the new Sammy DLP's, but after further review due to his room setup and viewing angles, a plasma would be better suited. He is going to position the TV with the center viewing point of the screen right at 6-feet from the floor. In his gameroom there will be a bar, a pool table, and a couch as well, so the vertical viewing angles of the DLP set would not work so well.

Can somebody recommend a solid plasma (HDTV or HDTV Monitor only...no EDTV's) that he can get that is at least 46" in size? Oh yea, also the budget is $5K...Thanks!

2. Danny Beck

Danny Beck Stunt Coordinator

IMO Panasonic makes the best plasma tvs for the money today.

In fact, I know the perfect deal for your price range right now! Best Buy is selling the 42" Panasonic HD Plasma for $4500! This was just reduced from $5500 to $4500 in the past 2 weeks! An incredible deal for a fantastic plasma set. If I was going to spend $5000 right now on a tv and I wanted a Plasma that would be the set I would buy.

If you're looking for something bigger I would personally go with a 60" Sony XBR LCD Projection. It's also available for about $5000.

3. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

I would just love a Plasma, but I will wait until they are $2000 or so.

Maybe in a couple years.

4. John Doh

John Doh Stunt Coordinator

Can I get a model number for the 42" Panny? Thanks!

5. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

The one they have on sale at BB is probably the TH-42PX20UP...soon to be replaced by the PX25 model. Suggestion.....if this is going to be in a large game room, a 50" panel would probably be a better choice....especially if it will be viewed from over eight feet at times. The Panasonic TH-50PDH6UY will run a tad over the $5K budget, but it too will probably be less expensive when the new commercial units become available. Check out the forum sponser TV Authority for relative prices.

Mort

6. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    AFAIK, the only 46" out there is from BenQ, but let's just say PQ is, well, they were showing Men In Black at a shop, it looked like Men in Grey...

Have a look at Pioneer's 434 as well, which is 43", the extra inch is allegedly noticeable.