1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

plasma question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Luke_E, Nov 25, 2002.

1. Luke_E

Luke_E Auditioning

An idea hit me the when I saw an auction for a plasma tv with a cracked screen. I am thinking about purchasing a damaged unit and repairing it (f.y.i. the unit I am looking at is a Fujitsu 4211 which was dropped causing the screen to crack in a few places). Does anybody know how much a replacement screen cost and how labor and knowledge intensive it would be to replace it i.e. can I do it myself? I am also asking for helpful ideas and advice on the subject, and also if anyone thinks it is a good idea. Sorry for the long post.

Thanks,

Luke

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

As far as I know the screen accounts for at least 3/4 the price of the unit when new.
    The damaged set would only be of value to someone who owned the same kind of set with a good screen but the electronics failed.
    I haven't seen the inside of a plasma set but would guess the labor grade to be expert, not novice or intermediate.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr

3. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

I guess it depends on what exactly is cracked--the plasma screen itself, or something external to it like a glass cover or the enclosure.

If the plasma screen itself is cracked, you're talking about an expensive repair, as the screen is the most expensive part of the set. If it's just the housing that's cracked, it shouldn't be a problem if the display screen is intact.

KJP

4. Luke_E

Luke_E Auditioning

Thanks alot[​IMG]