Plasma or Widescreen HDTV Rear Proj??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Louis D, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Louis D

Louis D Agent

All,

Ok, I am looking to get a new TV, and was looking in the range of 42-51+ inches. I looked at a few Widescreen HDTV Projection TV's and looked at a few Plasmas. Now the Plasmas are a bit more expensive, but I am not too concerned with the price. I was wondering what anyones thoughts were on either, and what to REALLY look for when buying either one? I have been looking at the Sony, RCA and Pioneer versions of both types of TV's. Need input..... Thx..

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Though plasma panels have improved considerably since their introduction they still fall short of providing a home-theater experience that's in line with their still-high prices. And nearly all this boils down to a plasma panel's inability to produce a convincing black level and to hold it.

CRT-based RPTVs, on the other hand, can do better--though, after calibration, their images won't be as bright nor as apparently sharp. But the operative word here is apparently. While the well-designed RPTV will produce a better-resolved image, the plasma panel will seem as if it's the sharper of the two.

If it were my money, I'd opt for the RPTV approach. Plasma's day will come, but it's not here yet.

3. RyanDinan

RyanDinan Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Jack 100%.
    A good CRT RPTV also has the potential for much higher resolution - A plasma (like LCD, DLP, etc) is a fixed panel display - And most are fairly low resolution (854x480). The great majority of consumer HD RPTV's can do much better than that.
    Also, plasmas seem to have greater 'burn' potential than RPTV's and some FP CRT systems...
    They just seem too pricey for what they can do.....
    But they sure do look cool [​IMG]
    -Ryan Dinan

4. Ray Melnik

Ray Melnik Agent

Louis,

You might want to look at the Front Projection systems.

I use a Sanyo PLV-60HT and you can have a flat wall mounted screen and mount the unit to the ceiling. This gives you a great picture and takes up little space. The PLV-60HT is: HDTV compatible (1080i, 1035i, 720p, 575p, 575i, 480p and 480i)

Video Resolution: 768 video lines

Aspect Ratio(s): Native 16:9

No. of Colors: 16.7 million

Contrast Ratio: 700:1

Good luck with your HT project

Ray

5. Dave Weida

Dave Weida Extra

Let me try and clear a few things about Plasmas.
    1. Black Level- The Panasonic and the Fuji is highly praised for their black levels. The current models are equal to CRTs as attested by P.Putman. The Panasonic is the clear winner in this category.
    2. Burn-in- The same pre-cautions apply here as do with FPTVs and RPTVs. Turn down contrast and brightness, no static images, etc, etc.
    3. HD Ready- Most 42" plasmas are 480 resolution, but all the 50s are at 720 resolution. Sony, Pioneer and Fuji currently have 42" and 43"(Pioneer) displays at 1024 x 1024.
    The new Sony also has a built in NTSC tuner as were the Pioneer 43" has a media box. The manufactures are developing these things with Home Theater in mind.
    4. A few points to consider-
    All have 160 degree viewing angle, no sweet spot, which is the case with RPTV.
    Need some lights on, no problem with plasmas.
    No geometry or convergence issues- ever.
    Can be ISF'd at a fraction of the cost of RPTV (process is similar to CRT).
    Small footprint- 4" thick, can be hung on wall if you want.
    There is alot of info available, so have fun.
    So you want to know about Plasmas- well check this out!
    Dave

6. Stephen Houdek

Stephen Houdek Second Unit

S
    Yes Dave,

BUT you pay DEARLY for those amenities. For my money (I'm not poor or a college student) RP is the only alternative.

7. Dave Weida

Dave Weida Extra

I hope that no offense was taken by my post. I was not knocking any technology, only trying to give informational data for the origninal poster to consider as per his request.

Dave

8. Stephen Houdek

Stephen Houdek Second Unit

S
    No offense here......I just don't see spending that much! Those prices will drop steadily as they get the chipsets worked out and better integrated.