What's new

Plasma or Projetor? (1 Viewer)

Saul_M

Agent
Real Name
Saul_M
Hello all. I was just curious to know what you guys would pick. I have a HT room that is 12X14 feet. The seating area will be about 10 feet from the main wall were the display will be. What would you go with a 42 inch plasma or a Sanyo PL Z4 projector? I do want to have a more cinematic experience. (bigger screen is better in other words). I am still open to opinions.Tell me what you think.

The projector does offer bigger for cheaper and higher res at the $1500 price range.

The plasma will only have 800x600 res as opposed to the projectors 1280x768 at the same price range.

the only disadvantage to the projector would be bulb replacement.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Plasma is 852x480 resolution so it sounds like ED plasma. AT 10 feet ... even if you had a HD plasma ... you still would not be able to tell the difference. Too far away ... and the image is too small.

Can likely do 100+ inches easy with the Sanyo.

Bulb costs ... $400 every 2-3 years.

So for that ($135/year) you would give up a giant image ... and really seeing what HD looks like.

Regards

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
IT seems quite obvious given your wants, that you should go with a projector.

The only question I don't know is whether the room is light controlled. If so, projector all the way. If not, then a plasma may be more appropriate, depending.

Shane Harg

Second Unit
Just to echo what's already been said, I would go with the projector (and I did), given your needs. As long as you have complete lighting control in that room, you won't be able to beat the impact of front projection.

I was also thinking that I'd buy a flat panel TV at first, but to get one the size of the RPTV I used to have, would have cost me like, 7-8 grand over here in Japan. I didn't even know that you could buy an HT projector with such an incredible image, at such a great price. If you have the sound system to equal the impact of that giant image, this is what will happen to you:
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Hi Mark

Please sign me up for the new 103 inch plasma that costs $1,500, (the Original Poster's budget).

Thanks

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member

LOL I know his budget was 1,500. I just saw that 103"er on the msnbc tech pages.

I bet it'll be a couple of years before it comes down to that price. ;)

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
It'll probably be a bunch of years before the shipping gets down to that price.

It's about 450 pounds.

Plus, when you turn it on, you'll hear a funny whine from your electric meter, as the little wheel really starts to go...

Leo

WaterEC

Agent
That's a really good one Leo, very funny. And plasma does consume tons of energy.

I will go with the FP, that's a no brainer. I was battling between Plasma/LCD vs. FP, the decision was very easy to make. I got a Panny AE900 projector. For me, I don't watch TV program (>99% is trash IMHO), I only watch DVD/PC, my average usage was only a few hours a week, so it will be quite a few years before I need to replace the bulb.

Shane Harg

Second Unit

...my sentiments, exactly!

As far a a 103" plasma goes, taking into consideration a cost of around $2000 for every 10" after going above abour 42", I'm going to guestimate around $20,000. Pehaps more...

WaterEC

Agent
Good to see you again Shane. My AE900 is making everyone "WOW", I set it up on a 92" fixed frame screen. Thanks a lot for your help on my previous post questions.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter

Go woith the plasma if you simply want a display, However, FP will give you a true cinematic experience that a plasma simply cannot do.

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
Go with the projector, you won't regret it. The image quality is much better than a plasma (in my opinion), particularly if you're running the signal through a DVI cable.

As for bulb replacement, my Plus only goes for 1000 hours. But my last bulb was good for two years. Yours will probably be good for 3-4000 hours at least.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Agreed. I would only add that if you do at least try a nice pj in your room, you'll likely feel compelled to do what you need to to make it light-controlled. :)

I'd take an InFocus 4805 over any plasma I've seen unless I was forced into it in by a really bright living room (not the place for movies, anyway).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks