Plasma, LCD, or DLP?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Wil_J, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Wil_J

Wil_J Stunt Coordinator

Hey everyone. It's been awhile since I've posted, but here I go.

My father is looking to get a new TV soon for himself. As a result he has me doing some research for him as I am the family H.T. "expert."

I haven't done much research on Plasma, LCD, or DLP, or what their differences are.

Can someone explain the differences and the pros & cons of each?

I also want to know if Plasmas really do "burn in" or not. I read awhile ago that that happening is actually just a rumor.

Someone please explain this to me, or at least point me in the right direction. Thanks!........Lan

Edit: Oh yeah, I'm not looking for product suggestions yet, but his price limit is $3000. Thanks.

2. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

There are lots of advantages in either direction.

Major disadvantages:

Plasmas do burn if they're abused. Even if they aren't abused, they will also age - intensity, color saturation, fidelity, et cetera.

LCDs, on the other hand, do have lamps that will, over time, eventually fail. (Although some people are starting to use LEDs for backlights rather than cold-cathode or flourescent tubes.)

Plasmas will, square inch for square inch, consume more electricity and generate more heat than an LCD monitor.

LCDs generally have worse off-angle performance. However, this is getting much less of an issue on a weekly basis, and they're getting down right good about that.

LCDs may be 'slower,' showing ghosting because it takes a measurable amount of time to change the pixel's state. This, too, is improving dramatically.

Plasmas are, square inch for square inch, heavier than LCDs.

LCDs are often perceived to be less contrasty or more muted; an artifact, I believe, of the fact that the cell is 'cutting' light rather than 'generating' light like a CRT or plasma.

Leo

3. Wil_J

Wil_J Stunt Coordinator

So generally, if you don't worry about electricity consumption, Plasmas have less problems as long as you don't abuse them? About how long is the normal life of a plasma before you start having picture issues?

And which would you guys go for? LCD or Plasma, and why? Thanks for the help.........Lan

4. CarlosL

CarlosL Stunt Coordinator

Carlos
    Go DLP! [​IMG]

No burn-in, vibrant colors, and newer models minimize the rainbow effect that some complain of.

5. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

We've got some plasmas that are close on five years old, running ~3500 hours/year. Their colors are faded. (One's a Panasonic THD42 something; a 3 series? The other's a Pioneer 50" or so.)

But that's 9 hours/day, every day of the year, and then some. Most people don't do that... do they?

Leo Kerr

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

7. Wil_J

Wil_J Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the link, that was exactly what I was looking for. To me it looks like LCoS is the way to go. Can anyone give any experiance with it? Thanks!..........Wil

8. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

I've really only seen LCoS front projectors. The good ones are the best ones this side of 35mm motion picture film.

Leo

9. Arman

Arman Screenwriter

Naah, Sony will now rule the LCD market with Sony 32" Bravia XBR LCD KDL-V32XBR1 or Sony 40" BRAVIA™ XBR® LCD Flat Panel HDTVKDL-V40XBR1

I've seen these (in CC and Best Buy) side by side with Sharp's, ... the Sonys are much better looking, have much better PQ and features (with built-in HDTV, no PIP and more expensive though [​IMG] - still definitely the best in the market).

I'm buying next month the Sony 32" Bravia for the armoire in my bedroom. I already have the ever reliable and terrific 52" Toshiba DLP in my living room. I would then probably buy next year a 42" or 50" Panasonic/Hitachi/Pioneer plasma to be hung in the bar area of my house... OMG LCoS is then next in my shopping wish list - I'm thinking of putting it in my office. [​IMG]

10. Gary_A

Gary_A Auditioning

SuperTed,

May I ask what software you used for your DVD collection? It is very concise and well organized.

Thanks.

11. DonMac

DonMac Stunt Coordinator

Ted Lee wrote:

Wow! Looking at that article, I'm amazed at just how high the prices on these new-technology HDTVs were just 2.5 years ago! They really have come down a lot!

12. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    My parents bought a 50" Magnavox DLP today from BB. It looked ok out of the box but was 200% better after I calibrated it for them. They also bought an LG upconverting DVD player and a [​IMG] $90 Monster HDMI cable [​IMG] to connect the two. I was called to hook it up and after fiddling around for the better part of an hour trying to get the audio to work from the DVD player, I gave up on HDMI and used a set of component cables for the video and stereo cables for the audio. I could get video with the HDMI but no audio. I do not know if this is the fault of the TV, DVD player or cable.

Out of the box there were only two things I didn't like about the set.

1. The fan sounded like it was rubbing and could be heard almost 20' away in the kitchen when I turned the set on. I checked the level of the stand it was on and found it to be off plum about 1/8". After fashioning a wedge for one end of it (two pieces of cardboard folded over) and bringing it level the fan noise stopped and even wiggling the set back and forth I could not reproduce it. My mom said she was ok with it and would give it a few days to see if it happens anymore before contacting BB to swap it out.

2. More annoying than anything, the remote sucks. Plain and simple..it sucks. To make anything happen, you have to be pointing directly at the RF pickup and no further than 3-4' away. Changing to fresh batteries had no effect. Tomorrow I'll try to program their satellite remote to work the TV and see if it's the remote itself or if the RF unit on the set is possibly damaged.

13. Mike_J_D

Mike_J_D Stunt Coordinator

What disc did you use to calibrate the DLP? I have the DVE disk and will be calibrating mine on Saturday.

14. Mike Gillgannon

Mike Gillgannon Auditioning

Something that's important in my situation (a fairly bright room) is the non- reflective quality of direct view LCD screens (dunno if projection LCD is the same or not). It's usually not mentioned in comparisons but it can be quite relevant.