Plasma = LCD? Contrast levels

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Yumbo, Oct 24, 2002.

1. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

hi,

I'm looking to upgrade from a 36" wide CRT.

I've ruled out a projector due to price and room light.

So, is a plasma (42-50")the same technology as my iMac screen which has 'better' contrast than a CRT?

I saw some plasma specs stating that the contrast level was pretty low(er than a projector).

please enlighten me you experts!

2. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

Plasma and LCD's are both flat panel, but different technologies entirely.

Why the particular concern about contrast as opposed to any other specification? Contrast it important, but only one factor in assessing overall picture quality.

The best plasmas have higher contrast ratios than any LCD's. All of the Panasonic plasmas are rated at 3000:1 (probably unrealistic). Contrast ratio is one factor that affects overall black levels. However, black levels are only indirectly related to contrast. Actual black levels can be measured accurately in nits. Not surprisingly, the Panasonic panels, and other plasmas based on the same glass, produce the best absolute blacks.

I suggest checking out the plasma group over at avsforum for additional information.

3. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

anyone own a Fujitsu plasma, or know of its specs and performance?

thanks

4. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

The Fujitsu 50" panel uses the same glass as the Panasonic and therefore has the same 3000:1 contrast ratio (or very close). That particular Fujitsu produces superior blacks. Blacks are not the same on the 42" Fujitsu panels (based on Fujitsu's glass) or the 61" Fujitsu (based on NEC glass). All the Fujitsu's have very good internal scalers.

As I said, more info. over at avsforum.