Plasma IR receiver

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by seanClan, Apr 14, 2005.

1. seanClan

seanClan Auditioning

do i have to use a plasma IR receiver b/c of interference? what if i use a wall mount IR receiver - how far from the plasma does it need to be to avoid interference?

thanks,
    Sean

2. John_Stra

John_Stra Extra

If you use a wall mount plasma reciever make sure it is behind the screen. Buffalo electronics equipment is plasma safe..

-J

3. DustinT

DustinT Agent

i had never heard of these distortion issues...? can you tell me more? i had planned on putting one right next to my 42" plasma.... hiding all electronics in a room on the other side of the wall....

thx,
    Dustin

4. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    Plasma TV emissions usually interfere with IR receivers. Some Companies make "Plasma proof" models that resist or filter out the emissions. If you are mounting on or near a Plamsa, get one of these and follow placement instructions (if there are any) that come with the receiver.

5. seanClan

seanClan Auditioning

my parents had an IR receiver mounted on the top edge of their sony plasma and the reception is poor at best. we moved it away from the plasma and reception improved...i dont believe that the receiver is plasma-proof....i also dont know the brand although the installer hit us for over $400 for the IR set up....

i started looking at plasma proof receivers and they are hundreds just for the receiver...

6. Paul Padilla

Paul Padilla Supporting Actor

I've been using a standard IR receiver mounted directly underneath my Pro 1110 for several months with no issues. The "plasma safe" ones are much more expensive. I know that it probably varies from one plasma model to another, my experience has been great.

I'm using the Hotlink Pro

7. DustinT

DustinT Agent

we recently found an RF Remote on clearance at Radio Shack, wouldn't have bought it, but it was a 1/2 price LCD touch screen remote... if the RF works for our equipment, i'm thinking this would help us eliminate interference, right?

if not i'll have to check out those others IR systems again...

8. Paul Padilla

Paul Padilla Supporting Actor

Dustin,

RF still needs to be converted to IR codes and distributed to your individual pieces of equipment at some point in the process. Unless you have equipment that receives RF directly (which isn't likely) you'll still need an IR receiver somewhere.

I have my IR receiver mounted with velcro attached directly to the frame of my plasma...dead center on the bottom at the outside edge. I've never had any issues.