What's new

Plasma Interference of IR (1 Viewer)

EdVB

Auditioning
I am troubleshooting a problem I'm having where my Plasma TV (Gateway 46) is interrupting IR signals to my Sony Megachanger DVD. I have several other components that are not affected, including a Sony CD Megachanger.

When I shut off the TV, the IR works fine. This problem exists with, or without, my IR repeater system (receiver, connecting block, emitter) - thus it is an issue of my Megachanger.

I can't really move the DVD any further away from the TV (it is about 5 feet away).

Has anyone encountered a problem like this, and what are some remedies? Can I shield my electronics cabinet to decrease the interference?

Thanks in advance -this is really aggravating.

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
This is a well-known problem with plasma TV's. Most IR manufacturer's now sell "plasma-friendly" IR receivers. I had to buy one from Xantech for my IR-repeater system.

Make sure to down a couple shots before you see what one of these babies costs! Hint: price I paid was more than my DVD-player costs!

EdVB

Auditioning
Thanks for the input. The problem isn't with my IR receiver, but rather with my DVD player's IR receiver, which doesn't like the plasma. All other IR gear works fine. So I can't get a plasma friendly receiver unless there is a way to chop out the DVD's IR receiver and replace it. Ideas? Thanks,Ed

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
Have you tried plugging a 3.5 mm. mono cable from your connection block directly into the "IR in" connection on the back of your DVD player, and then putting black tape on the sensor on the DVD player?

EdVB

Auditioning
Not sure if I have such an input on the DVD. I'll check tonight. Thanks for the idea.

EdVB

Auditioning
Alas, no such connection exists on my unit. The Sony ES model has a Control-S input - can't tell if that is the same sort of thing. Anyone know? I could "upgrade" to the ES, I suppose.

Any electrical engineers out there - what can we do to dampen this interference?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks