What's new

Plasma Image Retention (1 Viewer)

Farky14

Auditioning
Real Name
Marcus
I bought my new panny plasma back in April 2008 sometime. I had changed the settings to some recommended on cnet, however somehow they got changed back to the default (probably shortly after our purchase). So needless to say we've been watching a very bright tv (I guess we got used to it and didn't know any different). After watching the presidential debate the other night for just 45-60 minutes we flipped the channel to watch another show and noticed that the banner on the bottom of the debate was "burned-in" at the bottom. We watched our program (60 minutes) and by the end it was pretty much gone. It's 100% gone now...and I have changed my settings from vivid back to a sensible brightness/contrast ratio.

My questions are: (1) Did I do any permanent damage to the tv during the last 6 months (I'm well past our initial 100 hour break-in period)? (2) Am I at greater risk of having image retention in the future b/c of having the set at such bright settings for the first 6 months of its life? (3) Any other issues I might have? (4) What should I do from here in terms of settings etc.?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Calibrate properly using Avia, Video Essentials or an ISF certified calibrator.

You will probably have no more ill effects from your temporary burn-in other than scaring you to pay attention to the settings even more.

Welcome to the forum. As you can see from your first post, it is always better to start your own thread than hijack one that is almost a year old.

-Robert

Farky14

Auditioning
Real Name
Marcus

Thanks for your feedback. (A) How do I get my hands on one of these calibration dvds and (B) how do they work?

Marc

troy evans

Screenwriter
Marcus, just about any online retailer that sells dvds will have them. Be careful to get the right one. They make them for standard dvd, HD DVD and Blu-ray. One quik tip: Set the contrast no higher than 50% or halfway. Also, use the "normal" or "movie" picture modes as a start to making all other adjustments. If you have any of the Star Wars films on dvd they have a THX Optimizer to set the picture controls of your tv. Other dvds that are THX certified have this feature as well. It will get you by until you can get a better calibration dvd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yacubjkc
Recent bookmarks