What's new

Plasma display lifespan is short ?? (1 Viewer)

Todd Smigelski

Stunt Coordinator
Looking for some feedback from a rumor that screen life on plasmas displays have a relatively short lifespan. I heard only about 10,000 hours before you have to service these screens. And if so, does anybody know what this service would be and the potential costs.

If this rumor is true, not too many prospective buyers are aware - I'm afraid.

Todd

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I've heard that it is 30,000 hours and then you pretty much have to get a new TV. Keep in mind that at about between 4 and 5 hours a day viewing that works out to about 15 years. I have not looked into it in great detail. I expect plasma sets to come down in price over the next year or two.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
It depends on the manufacturer. Most of the makers of higher-grade plasmas say 25,000-35,000 hours, and that number is often just until they are at half brightness. I did some simple math (Since I've heard a lot of estimates) @ 8 hours a day, 365 days a year, that's (8 yrs 204 days) to (11 yrs 357) days. And that's 8 hrs every single day. Personally, I think I would probably burn in an RPTV in that many years anyway (I play video games).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks