Plasma, But Not HDTV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Magdziarz, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Jeff Magdziarz

Jeff Magdziarz Auditioning

I recently bought a Plasma television and a HDTV tuner afterwards. The TV itself is not considered High Definition.

Three questions:

Is the TV not being HD going to be a problem? Am I missing out on the best quality picture?

I have not been able to hook up my tuner yet because I don't have enough ports available in my receiver. Can I do anything other than buying a new receiver?

Jeff M.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Jeff, of course it can't provide the finest-possible picture quality if it can't resolve high-definition signals. The second part of your question confuses me. Are you referring to an audio/video receiver?

3. Pam W

Pam W Stunt Coordinator

Jeff,

Is the TV HDTV "ready"? If not, then no HD tuner will work.

4. Jeff Magdziarz

I believe it is "HDTV Ready". Circuit City included the tuner in the sale of the TV.

The receiver is is A/V. I have my Satellite dish, DVD, Playstation, Tivo and surround sound speakers attached to it.

5. Jack Briggs

Jeff, let's make this easier: Which plasma panel did you buy (make and model)? If a set's HD-ready, it simply means your display is capable of dispaying high-def images but needs an outboard ATSC tuner in order to do so.

6. Jeff Magdziarz

It's a Panasonic 42" Widescreen. I'm not at home, so I'm not sure off hand what the model is. The tuner was advertised with the TV, so I would have to assume it is HD Ready.

7. Jack Briggs

It includes an NTSC tuner, not an ATSC tuner. You'll need to get one of those to enjoy high-def images.

8. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

Is the plasma a PT-42PD3-P? If so, it is a 480p plasma. It will accept a high definition signal and will downconvert the signal to 480p. While not high definition by definition, the image will look much better than any NTSC image you've ever seen in your home.

You should not be running a signal from a high definition decoder through your receiver. The signal should be routed directly to the plasma. Regards.