1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Plasma 'burnout'?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John CW, Mar 13, 2003.

1. John CW

John CW Supporting Actor

On my quest for a new TV I have been repeatedly told by people NOT to buy a Plasma TV because they have an extremely short life (like two or three years).

Is there any truth to this rumour??

Thanks!

~ Johnny

2. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

While there are particular advantages and disadvantages to the plasma technology, the idea of a "two or three year" life expectancy is a best a misstatement of some potentially related truths.

Plasmas are sensitive to "burn-in"--just like CRT-based RPTVs. You can see the effects of burn-in by looking closely at the display of RPTVs at most CC's or BB's.

The half-life of plasmas (the time it takes for output brightness to fall to half the original amount) is generally stated as 30,000 hours. That's 3.42 years with the display running 24 hrs per day. In a home theater environment, that's more likely 15 years or so of use.

3. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

The truth on burn-in for plasmas seems to be somewhere in between CRTs and CRT RPTVs.
    See this useful thread for burn-in info @ AVS forum, where there are quite a few plasma owners:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=224419

As far as lifespan, Mike is hitting it on the head there. The lifespan myth is being advanced by slightly misinformed salespeople.

4. John CW

John CW Supporting Actor

Thanks! I thought it sounded like nonsense (not least because I've never seen anyone write: "Don't buy a plasma!!" [​IMG]).

~ Johnny

5. Andy Polo

Andy Polo Stunt Coordinator

I heard somewhere that a plasma tv has to be "recharged" ever so many years or something. It probably is a rumor, but does anyone know anything about this?

6. Rich H

Rich H Second Unit

Andy,

The "re-charging" line is one of the more egregious scams being perpetrated by some very well known retailers (Circuit City being one, I believe). "We'll come by and re-charge your plasma for a fee." I can't believe they haven't been charged for fraud yet.

It's a ludicrous myth: once those plasma glasses are sealed, they're done. The glass for plasmas are a large part of the picture, and if anything happens to the glass that permanently alters the picture quality, then it means replacing the glass, which is so prohibitively expensive it's time to buy a new plasma.

If some salesman tells you plasmas have to be "re-charged," I hereby authorize you to slap him upside the head.

Rich H.