What's new

plasma burn question?? (1 Viewer)

Sheldon-m

Stunt Coordinator
Are there any mfg doing something about the burn in issue.
i'm in the hunt and all i've have heard is the panni is the wat to go? any suggestions?(42" hdtv)

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
You could try the Master burn-in thread, I think that mainly all pertains to CRT devices in that discussion though, but not sure.

Plasmas use phosphor, so they will wear of course. You might want to search the plasma forum at avs for burn info. I have no idea as to differences between phosphors in sets, I don't follow plasmas that much.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

I've seen many Plasma units burn in the 4:3 graybars after just 4 months of use at factory settings. These things burn in faster than crts in general.

There is no easy fix other than to reverse burn the image and try to balance out the effect. This takes a lot of time and monitoring ...

regards

Sheldon-m

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks all. I found that link to be very useful. I just always had it in my mind that they have had a burn-in issue. One thing I want to ask is what is a good viewing distance? Is there a large viewing diameter? I know most have sweetspot, but my seating is in a L shape? do ya'll recommend a good dealer that ya'll trust. THX

Danny Beck

Stunt Coordinator
Viewing distance is really a personal decision. If I were to buy a 42" plasma I would guess i'd sit around 8-10 feet from it though.

Also, plasmas really don't have a "sweet spot". They have viewing angles just like a tube tv so in other words it can be viewed at almost any angle or position and still look the same. Thats one of the true benefits of plasma tvs that I like.

Sheldon-m

Stunt Coordinator
I was looking at the panny 6u 42" ed. I was wondering
is there a major diff in ED and the HD.Inow hd is the mecca, but how far off is the ED. picture quality wise. THX

Steve_L_B

Stunt Coordinator
At about 8 feet, most people (myself included) can not see the pixel structure of the Panny ED. From about 10 feet, most consider the difference in picture quality between the 42" ED and 42" HD to be barely discernable. The difference was certainly not worth the $2000 premium that the HD panel commanded when we bought our Panny ED.

FYI, we've had our plasma for about 15 months now and there are no visible signs of burn-in. We do watch most 4:3 TV programming using one of the stretch modes, but we always watch DVDs and HD in their OAR. During the first few hundred hours of operation, when the rate of change in the phosphors is supposedly the greatest, we were careful to watch mostly full screen material (i.e. no black bars). I have also calibrated our peak white level to be about 32 ft-L, which is still very bright, but it uses a contrast setting significantly lower than the factory default.

Regards,
Steve

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
I agree with Steve, but here is the prime operative phrase when deciding between ED and HD. My wife could see the pixel structure (or screen door effect) at ten measured feet in the store so we opted for the HD display.

Burn in seems to be an overrated concern. I guess if you left the set on a 4:3 CNN display with a constant ticker tape running across the bottom for a couple of days...maybe, but I'd wager it'd be more likely a ghosting remnant that would fade away in short order.

Mort

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

Burn in is not the same as phosphor decay, or pixel decay on plasmas (which is more the cells, not the phosphor).

Burn-in won't "fade away" with time, it is wear of the phosphor itself. Burn-in is more specifically static, intense wear that looks like a ghost of the image and is seen on bright scenes easily. Wear is inevitable, but you want your set to wear evenly and minimally by not using contrast up all the way, and not viewing static pictures all the time.

Steve_L_B

Stunt Coordinator
It's definitely best to compare the two models (ED vs HD) yourself. Our typical viewing distance at home is 11 feet and the ED looks great to us. If you are going to be closer than 10 feet, then you should consider getting the HD display. If sitting greater than 10 feet away, then you would probably be satisfied with the ED. And as Mort indicates, at around 10 feet, it could go either way depending your visual acuity. By the way, my previous comment regarding the minimal PQ difference at ten feet was for HD. My wife and I both actually preferred the ED display for DVDs and SD because it appeared to have slightly better contrast and brightness (with both displays adjusted as best I could do by eye).

Another thing to consider is that the price difference between the Panny ED and HD plasmas has narrowed significantly. A big box retailer recently had the HD model on sale for only $500 more than I paid for the ED model, which I got from one of the lowest priced internet dealers.

-Steve

Sheldon-m

Stunt Coordinator
thanks all for your help, but one thing i seen is that there are two models. One for the consumer and one for the industry. which one is better?

Steve_L_B

Stunt Coordinator
Sheldon,
The consumer model is styled differently (different bezel) and it has built in tuners and speakers. It does not have native support 720p. However, it has a slightly better warranty that offers in-house service.

The commercial version does not have a built-in tuner or speakers but supports 720p. Its warranty requires that you take or ship the display to an authorized service center. The commercial version also has user controls to calibrate grayscale and gamma. These must be adjusted in the service menu on the consumer model.

A built-in tuner and speakers are really not necessary these days. Most people can/do use a cable box, satellite receiver, TIVO, VCR, etc. as the tuner and have external AV receivers and surround speakers. Also, I personally prefer the minimalist styling of the commercial display.

As far as picture quality and general performance, the two models are basically equal.

-Steve

Johan

Stunt Coordinator
I had the Pioneer 50 inch plasma display for a while and got the service code for the service meny on it and in there you can run a testpattern on the display that will even the wears out.

It would be possible to do the same with a computer?

Idont now, but ive heard about it tough.

Regards
Johan
Sweden

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks