What's new

Plants vs. Zombies (PC/Mac) (Highly Recommended) (1 Viewer)

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
I don't normally find myself gushing about strategy games, much less games of the "tower defense" variety (where you must use a collection of defensive and offensive items to fend off a horde of attacking enemies). However, Popcap Games has raised the bar (again) with their latest flagship title, "Plants vs. Zombies", a polished game experience that is deceptively simple and ridiculously addictive.

Zombies are attacking your house, shambling to the left along six rows, and it's up to you to fend them off using a variety of plants at your disposal. Pea shooters, potato mines, cherry bombs.... zombies come at you in the front yard... they come in the back yard... they come in the... well, I'll let you figure it out. There are zombies riding dolphins, 80s zombies that dance with an entourage, and zombies with buckets on their head. There are even zombies riding Zambonis.

There's even a day/night cycle which changes your strategy completely, and gives you an impressive set of mushrooms to use when the sun goes down (and denies you more of the sunlight you need to plant).

If you are a strategy veteran, this game may not challenge you (at least, not at first). But this is not a game you play not because it's going to pummel you into the ground, but because it's fun to play. PvZ plays like a colorful action game, not a boring strategy game, and it nudges you into the action slowly and carefully. The graphics are colorful and amusing, with smooth and imaginative animation for every zombie and plant on the screen.

You get a new item or feature after every single stage. This makes you keep playing, just to find out what's coming next. Not only that, but there is an impressive series of "mini" games included with the package, which are so fun and complete it almost seems a disservice to call them "mini". You roll down zombies with bowling balls, use sun power to run a slot machine that gives you plants, whack zombies with a mallet, and more. In my favorite, "Zen Garden", you get to chill out and take care of plants (no attacking zombies), and then gain money to buy more stuff. There is a LOT of gameplay included in this package. I don't always agree for the $20 price point for some of Popcap's casual games, but this price is totally justified.

Plants vs. Zombies is available for PC and Mac (sorry, no console versions announced yet, though I wouldn't rule it out). Keep in mind that if you have an older Mac without an Intel processor, it may not run on your machine. Download the demo first from Popcap's web site to find out. Actually, download the demo first at any rate, in case your taste is completely different from mine.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

DaveB

Stunt Coordinator
Thank for the mini-review. Based on your recommendation, I'm going to check it out on Steam this weekend.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I've finished the demo and it was enough to make me get the full game. They have already added Steam achievements, so I may wait to see if the game comes to Live Arcade so I can get achievements there instead.

The bowling mini-game is fun but it can get nerve-wracking at the end. A single herd of zombies were all that was left and they had almost reached the house. They had already started to cross the line, actually. The game threw me an exploding wallnut right then and I was able to get a piece of the zombies and prevail.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
This game is absolutely classic. We wasted a weekend laughing our butts off while we played. If you finish the whole game (and the ending Robot monster zombie thing on the roof) you get a treat to this:

YouTube - Plants vs Zombies Music Video

How they cram so much game into such a small download is baffling!

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
I just found this game two days ago on PopCap. I liked the demo so much I bought the full game on Steam. I am totally addicted! And damn, those dolphin ridin' zombies are fast. I can't keep up.

andis01

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael Buble
It's a great game, the Zombies is very funny. but I don't know how to use a nut. it seems it only could be eat.

DaveB

Stunt Coordinator
This is going to sound silly if you haven't tried it yet, but Plants vs. Zombies is one of the best games I've played in years! At the very least, it stands alone atop the entire PopCap catalog--and that's saying something.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Originally Posted by DaveB /forum/thread/287582/plants-vs-zombies-pc-mac-highly-recommended#post_3580627

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Steam is now offering this game for $9.99. That is an absurd price. Those of you who are on the fence about this game can't do wrong picking it up.

I've just acquired some new plants which make some of the crazier game variations even more gratuitously enjoyable.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
They've added more new plants? I've managed to beat the game through a couple times.. the minigames are amazingly addictive.. Now we end up playing the game with different kind of challenges "can you beat it if you..."

Love this game.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Still working on my Gold trophy...

The "hard" Survival modes get a little insane. If you don't have the right combination of plants, by the fifth or sixth flag your garden is toast. But I have all the mini-game and puzzle trophies, which are fun to acquire (even when not that difficult), and also great way to get money without playing the same survival modes over and over.

Right now I'm trying to get mushrooms for my zen garden... for some reason I keep getting day plants and lily pads.

By "new plants" (my post above), I meant the in-game plant upgrades. (Knock on wood, Popcap knows better than to nickel & dime consumers with gratuitous DLC.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks