What's new

Planning to upgrade Samsung 4K Blu-ray Player (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
This currently is not high on my list as I am currently saving up for a Marantz SR-7012 receiver. But would like some feedback on what the go to 4K blu-ray player is now since Oppo called it quits. I want a better 4K blu-ray player than I have now which is the Samsung 8500 4K blu-ray. Should I go with a Sony or Panasonic player or is my Samsung just as good as anything else out there right now?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Looking at your equipment list, I see that you are not Dolby Vision compatible, so if you were happy with your previous Samsung, I don't know why you wouldn't just stay with it and get the latest model. Panasonic's 820 will be more expensive but likely have more features, and their players have always gotten top notch reviews for image quality. The Sony X700 seems to have had some growing pains and has not been bug free from the start. I'd be a cautious buyer of that player though I'm sure there are others who will sing its praises.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Do you need SACD and/or DVD-audio playback capabilities? If so, Pioneer is coming out with a universal player that is going to list for $1,000. The only current alternative to Oppo in this area I'm aware of is the Sony X-800, which is last year's model, but can be found for a very reasonable price. The newer Sony X-700 supports SACD, but not DVD-Audio.

I currently own the Sony X-800, but want to eventually upgrade to something with Dolby Vision support. I am strongly considering the Panasonic 820, which is shipping around the end of this month. I've had good experiences with Panny BD and DVD players. However, it will not get Dolby Vision support added via a firmware upgrade until sometime this autumn, so I am in no hurry to acquire one. While the Pioneer is intriguing, I am not willing to spend a grand on a disc player.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I honestly do not need the 4K blu-ray player to do SACD or DVD-A as I have a Sony DVP-S9000 ES and a Denon DVD 2200. My main focus on getting another 4K player is to upgrade what I have no since I am saving up for a nicer Marantz SR-7012 receiver. I did want to get a Oppo 4K player but I would rather have something that I will not have any issues getting serviced under warranty. My current display is not Dolby Vision compatible but I think it would be wise to get a player that is compatible. At some point I will be upgrading my current Samsung 4K display to one with HDR, HDR+ and Dolby Vision. I am not against having a matching Marantz 4K player but currently they are not even offering one. I have emailed them asking about when we might expect a 4K player from them. At one point I did want to pair that DVD/SACD player with a Sony receiver but not happy with the receivers Sony has been putting out.

Will have to do more research on the Panasonic and look into a Pioneer and wait and see about Sony. If Sony has issues then that will drop that one off the list. Upgrading the Pioneer Elite SC-05 to a Marantz SR-7012 makes me want to step up the quality of the player to match the quality of the receiver that I am saving up for. I know Panasonic has a good reputation for there dvd and blu-ray players as my first dvd player was a Panasonic. I want to go 4K projection but may end up in an apartment in the near future so I may have to change my plan and change it to a newer model 80" - 85" 4K display with HDR & Dolby Vision. And when is the Pioneer supposed to be available?

IMG_0621s.jpg

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Cambridge offers a high end UHD player that is a virtual clone of the Oppo 203. Premium price, but I haven't read any negative comments about its performance. It does offer Dolby Vision, too.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Will have to do more research on the Panasonic and look into a Pioneer and wait and see about Sony. If Sony has issues then that will drop that one off the list. Upgrading the Pioneer Elite SC-05 to a Marantz SR-7012 makes me want to step up the quality of the player to match the quality of the receiver that I am saving up for. I know Panasonic has a good reputation for there dvd and blu-ray players as my first dvd player was a Panasonic. I want to go 4K projection but may end up in an apartment in the near future so I may have to change my plan and change it to a newer model 80" - 85" 4K display with HDR & Dolby Vision. And when is the Pioneer supposed to be available?

The Pioneer is tentatively scheduled to be available in October. If you do not need SACD / DVD-Audio support and are considering going to a projector at some point, the Panasonic players may make more sense. They have some features, such as an HDR optimizer, which can be beneficial for making adjustments with a projector.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Cambridge offers a high end UHD player that is a virtual clone of the Oppo 203. Premium price, but I haven't read any negative comments about its performance. It does offer Dolby Vision, too.
The Cambridge player will have the same question marks regarding long term service and support as an Oppo, since it's a re-badged Oppo.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Current upgrade plan

Upgrade Pioneer Elite SC-05 surround sound receiver w 4K switching, Dolby Atmos & DTS-X decoding
Add multi port gigabit ethernet switch to a/v rack.
Upgrade Advent Marbles to Bowers & Wilkens 686 bookshelf speakers for surrounds. This will match my rear channels to my current B&W center channel speaker.
Current Advent Marbles will be re purposed to Atmos speakers to be upgraded at a future date.
Possible upgrade to Samsung 4K blu-ray player.
Decide if I will put Sony DVP-S9000ES DVD/CD/SACD player in shop or purchase a used CD/SACD/DVD-A player ???
Make decision based on where I am living on weather or not I can finally get a 4K projector or not.
If a 4K projector is possible in my living space then I will start researching screens and decide on screen size based on throw distance of the projector to the size of the room the projector will be installed.
If I am not able to go with a projector then I will hopefully be able to upgrade my current Samsung 4K UHD TV to an 80" - 85" 4K UHD display with both HDR and Dolby Vision! I will be considering displays from Sony, Samsung and LG. Those that know me, yes I said LG, LOL. I have said I would never own an LG display but things have changed so I currently have a 43" LG 4K UHD TV as my pc monitor/bedroom tv.

At some point after all that I may decided to keep or upgrade my HSU Research VTF-3 MKSHP subwoofer, at this point not going to even think about what sub may or may not take it's palce.

This will most likely finish upgrades if all goes well! Other than that the only other focus will be adding 1080p blu-ray's and building my 4K UHD blu-ray library.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks