Planning to get RPTV in near future (end of 2001), suggestions/recommendations?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NickSo, Sep 7, 2001.

1. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    My family's planning to get a Big-Screen RPTV for our HT in a couple months when there are Xmas sales and such, and I want some background info on what are some good brands/models of TV to look out for, how much is a good price, what detailed specs I should look out for, etc.
    I've taken short looks at Toshiba, Samsung, and Sony RPTVs, all about 50-53" 4:3. The Toshiba and Samsung were showing cable, and were $2998 CAD (About $2000 USD). They were HDTV ready, but I have no idea what model #'s they were, The cable video signal was very poor on the HDTVs, while the SONY one i saw demoing from a SONY DVD looked amazing.
    What models and brands of RPTV's should i look out for?
    Some features i need are:
    - Progressive Scan (Though it will have to be TV-line-doubled)
    - 50"+
    - Under $4000 CAD (approx $2580 USD)
    It can be 4:3, but 16:9 would be even better, though i doubt there are any good large 16:9 RPTVs in my price range.
    One important feature i need to know is the Line-doubler of the TV, how good they compare to each other, as I do not have a Progressive scan DVD Player (hopefully YET). I was looking at the Sony VW10HT FrontProjector, and the linedoubling system was amazing, do the Sony RPTVs have the same kind of system?
    I think alot of HTF owners prefer Toshiba RPTVs.
    What are your suggestions on RPTVs?
    Are there any sites i can read about to get more info in whats good and whats not?
    Thanks alot for your help in advanced... [​IMG]
    ------------------
    The So Family Home Theater!
    http://www.multimania.com/sonick182/ht/index.html

2. Trey Jones

Trey Jones Stunt Coordinator

Well around here, a new fan favorite is the Toshiba 50H81. I just got mine here in Texas at my local sears for $2200. They pricematch from internet sites, but I had to include shipping on the printout. I got my price from http:\www.hamptonimage.com .
    Previously I wanted a mitsubishi 46809, and both of those sets looked much better than the Sony to me.

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Nice, thanks alot...
    Can anybody gimme more info on any good TVs and reads online?

4. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Nick- You might want to check out CNET.com. They have a nifty little search engine that will help you find the brands/models of TVs that you want at the price you're looking to spend.
    I'm sure you'll be surprised as to what you'll find there.
    ------------------
    - Brian
    My DVD Collection
    Want Sliders on DVD? Then please SIGN the petition!

5. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Where is that site that shows you like what the viewing area of a Letterboxed image on a 4:3 TV? Is there such thing? Like how big would the viewable area be on a 53" 4:3 TV on a 16:9 broadcast (1.77:1??)???

6. Allan Mack

Allan Mack Supporting Actor

This site doesn't have any pictures, but it does give you the viewing areas to help you compare a 16:9 TV and a 4:3 TV...
    Compute TV Dimensions
    I would buy a 16:9 TV myself, since this is the future.

7. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

8. MickB

MickB Agent

I would reccomend Pioneer or Toshiba. I have a Pioneer SD582 hooked up to Star Choice satellite. The set has a great picture on satellite, HDTV and DVD.

9. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Chad: Because projectors are expensive... [​IMG]
    My family was totally WOWed by the Sony VW10HT LCD Projector, which sold for $9800 CAD here, that any cheaper (and ususally lower-end) projector just couldn't hold a candle to the VW10HT.
    We also watch alot of BellExpressVu sattelite, so using a FP would just shorten the life of the lamp which should be used for movies. Though the computer-inputs on most projectors would go great with my Sega Dreamcast with VGA output, i don't wanna use the lamp just to play games, and replace it for a couple hundred bucks...
    The Toshiba H80/H81s and the Mitsubishi Platinum (xx809) series sound sweet, but my dad's a real pennypincher, so i gotta do alot of research and find the best Bang-For-The-Buck model.
    We recently saw a Toshiba and Samsung 53" 4:3 RPTVs at a local electronics store, (displaying a horrible cable picture, which left me and my dad less-than-amazed), and after looking at a $9800 projector, a $3000 RPTV seemed reasonable... [​IMG]
    Before, i was really pushing for a 4:3, but im leaning towards the 16:9s... Just reading the reviews of satisfied people excites me... and everytime i hear 'Film-Like image', it sends shivers up my spine, imagining having a 50-55" 16:9 Progressive-Scan RPTV in place of my (relatively) small 11 year old Mitsubishi DirectView. With its filmlike video, wowing my friends... [​IMG]
    I shall dream of this day...
    ------------------

10. Michael St. Clair

I wouldn't necessarily give up on 4:3 yet, especially since you watch a lot of 4:3.
    Remember, a 60" 4:3 set with squeezed 480p and 1080i modes has a 55.1" 16:9 image. And usually hundreds of dollars cheaper than an equivalent 16:9 set.
    There are various sets that are coming out between now and xmas.
    One that will definitely merit scrutiny is the Philips 60PP9401, as the Philips 4:3 RPTV sets typically have the exact same 16:9 squeezed image as their 16:9 sets (same resolution, beam size, etc), just with a taller passive screen. This set retails for $3000 USD, and will street for hundreds less.
    But the Toshiba H71 series (shipping this month) and the Sony HS20/HS30 sets also deserve a good close look.
    Remember, the 16:9 RPTVs use 4:3 CRTS, locked into a permanent squeeze.
    [Edited last by Michael St. Clair on September 09, 2001 at 06:12 PM]

11. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Thanks for the info michael...
    I saw the Toshiba 50H81 (H80?) today at a HT-store... I think the widescreen gives the illusion that its smaller than it really is...
    And to think of it, i do watch alot of 4:3 material anyways... I swayed off the 4:3 i think mostly because i saw the cable picture on the Samsung and Toshibas at the other HT store that i wasn't too impressed with... I saw a HD-Signal at the same store that had the WS toshiba, it was on a Toshiba 61" 4:3 HDTV, and the clarity was great, they were playing the Final round of the US Open.
    Stupidly, they displayed the 16:9 HD Video on the 4:3, stretching it out vertically, and playing the 4:3 normal video on the 16:9, stretching it out horizontally... This was the same store that a salesperson yelled at me for pushing a button on a Kenwood reciever a while ago... [​IMG] [​IMG]
    And i would guess 4:3 would be cheaper than 16:9's right???
    Besides Tohsiba and Mitsu, how about brands like Hitatchi, Samsung and RCA? They're kinda lower-end compared to Tosh and Mitsu from what I know... But i would think they would cost less... How do those kinds of TV preform? And that Phillips TV you mentioned Michael...
    ------------------

12. Neil N

Neil N Stunt Coordinator

Nick,
    I'm pretty sure that you're aware of the home theater spot: http://www.hometheaterspot.com/cgi-b...ultimatebb.cgi
    But for those that aren't, it's a great reference for tv information. For what it's worth, I'm definitely leaning toward the Toshiba 50hx81 when I upgrade in the (hopefully soon) future.

13. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Neil: Yeah, i found HomeTheaterSpot just today... [​IMG]

14. Michael St. Clair

I haven't seen the new 60" Philips yet; I did see the 55" 4:3 but it wasn't set up right (was showing a zoomed s-video loop) and I didn't have time to check it out.
    There is a valuable resource chart at http://www.ce.org/pdf/dtv_guide_current_issue.pdf
    In my opinion, the sets to watch this fall (performance for the $) are the new:
    16:9 and 4:3 Toshibas
    16:9 and 4:3 Philips
    4:3 Sonys (16:9 may be overpriced for the performance)
    16:9 Mitsubishi Platinum series (as usual)
    16:9 non-Elite Pioneer
    16:9 Panasonic
    I don't know if the new 4:3 Panasonics do a proper 480p and 1080i squeeze. I don't know anything about the new Hitachis, but the old ones used downconversion, not squeezing. The new ones may be totally different. I've heard the current RCAs are pretty nice. Same for Zenith, but not many places carry them.
    Of course, at higher budgets there are many other sets to consider.
    Also, for Sony and Philips check out the yahoo groups:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sonyhs10 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Philips_HDTV

15. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
  16. Geordy

Geordy Stunt Coordinator

I am now the very proud owner of the Hitachi 43UWX10B and i could not be happier!!!
    my crappy cable somehow looks better on this tv, i can't explain it. don't worry about 4:3 viewing; the hitachi (along with all the others) have full screen viewing modes that are fine.
    my new jvc prog scan player makes my tv look mah-vel-ous.
    it is also easy to tweak (SVM can be disabled in the standard mode, and the grids are easy to access and maneuver)
    try the 53 incher and i am sure you won't be disapointed
    geordy
    ------------------

17. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    The 'problem' with 4:3 RPTVs is that if i get one, the downconversion will have to be done in my Toshiba, which would result in jaggies coz of the toshiba's downconversion... Are there any RPTVs that do the 16:9 squeeze?
    And also, I dont plan to buy a progressive scan player for awhile, so i'd have to use the TV's internal line doubler...
    How do the line doublers in the hitatchi/Samsung/RCA compare to the Toshibas/Mitsubishi/Pioneers???
    Thanks...
    ------------------