Planning to get HDTV in a few months - need advice

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Strasz, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Chris Strasz

Chris Strasz Stunt Coordinator

Hello all,
    First I wanted to say that this site rocks. I'm not the most savvy when it comes to hdtv technology (or home theater equipment in general) - I mean sure i know the basics i suppose but damn there's a lot of info that can be gathered [​IMG] Regardless, I'm looking for everyone's feedback here regarding hdtvs. [​IMG]
    I'm hoping to get an HDTV in the spring time of next year (earliest would be january) and I'm hoping to stay within the 3K and under range. I have not yet seen it - but I've heard a ton of praises for the Toshiba HDX82 cinema series from a coworker here that used to deal with HDTV's at an AV store, not to mention a bunch of folks on here that have been saying nothing but good things about the toshibas in general.
    While I haven't yet seen the toshiba first hand before making an opinion of my own on it, I did have a few concerns that came up. Mainly - the upconversion to 540 from the 480i/480p but more importantly an issue shared with all hdtv's, the potential to burn in images. I've heard that the toshibas move around the image about an inch or so over the course of an hour, but still that does not eliminate this risk from what i've been told.
    I will be using this television for DVD's and television viewing of course, but especially for a lot of videogame playing so I do share that all too common fear of having the 'health bar' or 'score' of a videogame be permanantly etched in which would suck. This lead me to check out other viable options.
    I've heard that DLP technology is less prone to being burnt in (if at all). Can someone verify this? With this in mind, I started searching around for DLP sets in this price range and were big (~50"). I've only found two DLP Tv's in general - the mitsubishi which is inredibly expensive and huge, and the new samsungs coming out. It turns out that in general, this technology is seems expensive but the Samsung seems quite affordable all things considered (~3200 or so I've seen for the 50" DLP model at one place).
    Does anyone know how Samsungs fare in general with HDTV's? I've not heard much about them, but I have heard a few people anticipating these new sets. Additionally, how does the image quality in general of the DLP sets compare to standard HDTV's? Are they similar? If the Samsungs are great quality, durable, and aren't prone to burn ins - this may be a great choice for me.
    Any feedback anyone can give me regarding all of this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

2. Chris Strasz

Also, I forgot to ask - is there any new type of technology that might be coming out around that time? I heard someone mention that toshiba was coming out with a new line of their cinema series (lyco or something? Don't remember). Would this reduce burn in? Thanks!

3. Anthony.Lin

Anthony.Lin Stunt Coordinator

Bump for you~ i'm interested in getting an HDTV too, and was slightly worried about the burn-ins. My budget is considerably smaller though, and i'm looking in the $1000-1200 category (it's just for my bedroom). Anybody out there can give a bit of advice?

4. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

I'm in the same position as all.
    As such, I've decided on the 4x3 50" Toshiba. I can't find any larger 4x3 set. I'm going ot test drive it for a few days..and if I don't like it, return it to Best buy. I sit 11-12 feet back, so 50" is going to yield a small image (especially for widescreen) but budget limited and can't find anything larger in Toshiba. Here are some random pictures of games, using composite cables, on the set.
    I can't see myself going widescreen until the majority of games have a widescreen option.
    GTA3 not squeezed
    http://home.pacbell.net/devar79/gta
    GTA3 squeezed
    http://home.pacbell.net/devar79/gta2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    -ELmO

5. Chris Strasz

Hey guys,

Thanks for the info. el Malloc awesome pics. I think i actually read your similar post today over at avs forum. I can't wait to check out wipeout on an HDTV.

I'm still probably going to go with a 16:9 tv, just not sure which one yet. For the record, I've heard a fair amount of negativity in regards to the Samsungs due to rainbow effects with the DLP chip so i'm probably going to stray away from this one.

Now i'm trying to choose between the Toshibs 50HDX82 or the Pioneer SD-533HD5. Both seem to have great quality - especially the Pioneer. Unfortunately, there's no DVI with the non-elite pioneers (maybe later this year??) but that isn't a huge deal since i won't be getting the tv until january. Plus the Toshiba's seem to be notorious for the hissing in the speakers, which upsets me because it seems like an otherwise great set other than the 480 upconversion.

6. Jim FC

Jim FC Stunt Coordinator

The only types of TV that are immune to burn-in are DLP and LCD. Anything CRT-based is prone to burn-in, and thus not a wise choice for serious gaming. DLPs do have a "rainbow effect," but see it for yourself before you chicken out on a DLP. The only time I see the rainbow on DLPs is when I'm going out of my way to create it. You have to dart your eyes real quick-like across the screen to notice it, and how often do you actually do this when watching TV?

The upconversion on the Toshibas is a problem. They say it more closely matches the output of the CRTs (1080i is the same number of lines as 540p), but artifacting during upconversion is inherent to this process. Bummer that Tosh does it this way, but the better the source the less it will matter. I don't consider the lack of DVI on any TV a problem... if the only negative you can find against the TV you really like and can afford is the lack of DVI, then go ahead and buy the thing. The DVI issue is just a bunch of chicken littles reading way to much into things.

7. Chris Strasz

Thanks for the input Jim. My only other issue aside from the DVI input with the pioneer, is the fact that from what i've heard it doesn't accept 720p at all. It doesn't upconvert it or anything - it just doesn't take it!

Should I be worried about this and are there converters that would allow me to view this if this was ever an important thing? Thanks!