What's new

Planning on getting TiVo soon, a few questions. (1 Viewer)

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I'm planning on ordering a TiVo unit in the next week or two, but I have a few questions.

What unit should I get. I see on TiVo's site that they have their own units, but are there other units I should look at?

I was looking at probably getting the larger capacity version, but how hard is it to install your own HD inside a unit?

I believe I read on the TiVo site that the $300 lifetime fee applies to the unit and not the person. Is it possible to transfer this if I get a new unit? Right now I'm stuck with Digital Cable, but hope to get DirecTV in the next 6 months.

Hoping to get this before the Olympics, and to record 24 and the upcoming HBO shows.

Brian

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
If you currently have digital cable i'd look into what DVR options your cable company offers. For around $10 a month you can probably get a dual tuner HD DVR with nearly all the functionality of TIVO as well the ability to record HD TV, all for less than the TIVO monthly price and with no equipment cost. My fiance paid $50 for a 40gb single tuner Tivo and pays $13 a month for service. I pay $10 a month for a Motorola 6812 dual tuner HD DVR and $5 a month for the HD chanels (6 locals, TBS, TNT, HDNET 1&2, ESPN). I'm pretty sure my $15 a month is getting me alot more content and alot more capable equipment than her $13 a month + $50 upfront. Only thing the Motorola and Scientific Atlanta DVRs lack that TIVO has is the ability to search based on Director, Producer, and Studio. All other search featers and series recording (season pass) are inclided as well as going beyond the 14 day program guide available on TIVO. There's also no phoneline or dialup program guide retrival to worry with.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Not unless Tivo has changed their policies.

I've moved this thread to the DVR section from A/V Sources. It contains many existing threads about Tivo, as well as other DVRs, which you may find useful.

M.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I see that TiVo has a deal on refurbished Series 2 units, in 40 hour and 140 hour flavors. They don't offer the 140 model new, but instead have an 80 hour version, which isn't listed as part of the refurb deal. Anything wrong with the 140 hour version and any reason I shouldn't order one? (Other than that I do hope to have satellite in a few months, if possible).

Brian

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Brian,
Are you reading the responses?
I'm following this thread because, like you I need to get either a Tivo or the DVR that DirectTV offers.
Reginald Trent makes a good case for the DVR, doesn't he?

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
Yes, I am reading the responses. I agree the best idea would be to wait until I eventually get DirecTV, but I'd really like something to use during the Olympics, and to record a few other shows I'd like to watch. There are a lot of times where I want to watch something, but not when it's actually being broadcase. Right now I have no way of recording anything.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Maybe I'm missing something but why don't you just rent a DVR from your cable company until you get DirecTV?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks