Planning for next upgrade (long)...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Pagac, Oct 3, 2001.

1. Scott Pagac

Scott Pagac Stunt Coordinator

Hello to everyone. It has been a long time since I last posted here. I have been busy saving my pennies and waiting for the right time, and I finally have a matched speaker system! To go along with my Phase Tech Poweer 10 subwoofer, I purchased the Phase Tech Teatro 7.5 system (7.5 fronts, 6.5 center, and Teatro bipolar surrounds). My local high-end A/V dealer had a 50% off sale that I just could not pass up. The whole set for ~$600! I could not be happier with the purchase. They sound beautiful, even with my current piece of junk receiver. I am hearing things in songs I have listened to for years that I have never heard before and they make everything sound huge.
    Anyway, here is the question running through my head at the moment. A few months ago, I was all set to buy the Outlaw Audio 1050 receiver. Well, things did not go as planned and it has taken me this long to get the speakers. Now, I am back on the hunt for a new receiver. Recently, someone here posted something about some new Harman/Kardon receivers that should be released in the coming months. I never gave a thought to the H/K's until that post. I went looking around and read the specs and was quite impressed with what I saw (especially the AVR320).
    Here are my thoughts: Both have similar power ratings. Since I live in an apartment, I do not require megawatt amplifiers to power my speakers. The 1050 has 6 chanels of amplification built in. I have 2 speakers just waiting to be used as rear surrounds in a 6.1/7.1 setup. The H/K has Logic 7 (the new models will also include DPL II and DTS Neo:6). The Outlaw has no such provision. The new H/K has component video switching (this will be nice once I upgrade my TV). The H/K has front panel A/V inputs (I do actually make use of these quite often on my current receiver). The H/K also has 7.1 channel inputs and has 7.1 channel pre-amp outs (I can just hook up a stereo input on my current receiver to the rear surround out, right?).
    It does look like I am drooling all over the H/K, and I think I am. It looks to have all of the features I need now and will keep me content for the foreseeable future. However, and I do take this with a large grain of salt, I have visited AudioReview and it seems H/K does not place Quality Control as high on the priority list as does Outlaw. I also do not see H/K get mentioned too much here. Please let me know if I am reading too much into that.
    Anyway, of the Outlaw 1050 and the H/K AVR320 (basically an upgraded AVR310), which one would be a better receiver taking into account the reliability and longer-term enjoyment?
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    You should also consider the Marantz SR6200. Also provides 105 x 6, DTS-ES decoding, 96/24PCM, DPL II, 7.1 input / 6.1 output, front A/V inputs.
    No component vid switching (have to step up to the 7200 for that), but does have s-vid switching. I would personally not use my AVR to do video switching. I also believe the HK has adjustable bass management, something the 6200 & 7200 do not have (fixed 100Hz, but not a big issue IMO).
    I only mention it because this is the receiver I have, and I am extremely happy with it. I auditioned a number of receivers, and this is the one I felt had the best overall sound. More than enough power and music sounds great!
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
    to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

4. Scott Pagac

Scott Pagac Stunt Coordinator

"imo, i think the larger amps are actually more beneficial at lower volumes. that way they have plenty of reserve power. the result? better sound at lower volumes."
    I agree. However, a few things come into play here. I would love to go with a multi-channel amp, but my current receiver lacks pre-amp outs. I would need to go the separates route, and my budget does not allow for that at this time. Instead, I would like to step up to a more current receiver that has a few of my desired capabilities built in and also leaves room for future upgrades.
    Plus, my apartment is not exactly soundproof and the neighbors are not the kind that enjoy listening to my movis while they are watching their TV. [​IMG] My current receiver is rated as 100W (the dirtiest 100W I have ever heard) and makes more than enough noise as it is in my small "living room."
    I think a clean, conservative 55-75W will be just right for now.
    I appreciate the responces so far. Anyone else have any opinions on the Outlaw Vs. H/K, and to a lesser extent, Vs. Marantz? At this point, I just can't help but lean towards the H/K.