Planning a Hawaiian Island Vacation...need help

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Ron-P, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I've never been and plan going sometime next year. Like to stick with the smaller, less crowded island(s), yet with some decent activities.

Any good websites to help with the planning process? Suggestions from those who have been?

We are planning a 10 day vacation.

2. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Ron, looks as if we have a good subject to discuss over some Dominicans and ale on Saturday. I've been several times. 10 days? woohooo! The family is going to love it.

Will this include your daughter? Or just you and your wife?

It makes a difference [​IMG]

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    ..and what kind of activities are we talking about? Golf, Backpacking, kayaking, scuba diving, surfing?

Jay

4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

"Open Water" anyone? [​IMG]

5. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Yes, Zen, daughter included. I figure she can do some snorkeling, hiking, horseback riding, boogie-boarding, helicopter rides. Not really sure that's why I need info on what there is to do on what islands and such.

6. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    We can talk on Saturday. You guys are going to love it.

7. David Brown Eyes

David Brown Eyes Second Unit

for nice quite vacations I would suggest either Kauai or The Big Island.

Fishing is great.

Helo tours are expensive but worth every penny, book in the morning and early in your trip, bad weather can delay them. chech out blue hawaii for the best tours around.

snorkleing for the kids, scuba for the adults.

Luaus are fun the food usually stinks but the entertainment is great, ask around to find the best ones.

The big Island has the added attraction of the volcano. If there is lava on the costal flat or entering the ocean you are in for a real treat. Nothing beats being able to walk up to an active lava flow. Check here for updates http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/kilauea/update/main.html

Try to stay on the South and West sides of the Islands, it is dryer. North and east sides get lots of rain.

Do not stop at the street side tourist booths, they will try and get you into a timeshare meeting, waste of time.

Lots of films were made on Kauai, they offer a Hollywood tour that is fun.

of cource the best part of a Hawaii vacation is just sitting on the beach and doing nothing. sigh.

wish I could go with you.

8. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Ron,

We just booked a trip for early next year -- it will be our 2nd trip to the islands. Our first was a weeklong cruise between the islands, with a couple of days on Oahu before the cruise. The cruise went to Kauai, Maui (2 days), and Hawaii (2 days). If you want to see a few islands, a cruise is a great way to island hop. Also, while Honolulu is very crowded, I still think it's worthwhile to spend a little time on Oahu if you've never been there, if just to visit Pearl Harbor and the Punchbowl.

This time we are spending 5 days on Maui and 5 days on Hawaii -- those were our two favorite islands from our first trip. I'm going to try to talk my wife into doing the morning bicycle trip down Mount Haleakala on Maui. Volcano National Park on Hawaii is also a great place to visit.

9. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

I've been to Maui and Kauai many times and recommend both of them. Go to Kauai if you want to stay away from the crowds. Kauai is such a beautiful place. Make sure to take a cruise along the Napali coast.

10. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Thanks guys. Your suggestions on both Kauai and Maui line up with others I've talked to. Sounds like either one will make a great island for a long, relaxing vacation.

I was thinking about the month of May, good / bad? Any months of the year better then others?

11. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Hawaii is very seasonal so it depends on how much you want to spend or how the weather/activities are there. I believe and I could be wrong that Sept is the low season(I Could be wrong).

One thing I want to do is take a helicopter ride around Kaui. I've heard that's outstanding.

Kaui and the Big Island are the 2 big ones that interest me. I do want to hit up Oahu for one night and see the normal touristy type places.

There is a cool hotel on the Big Island where you can swim with the dolphins. I'm not certain if that is still around but it seems pretty neat. We're talking about next year too so I'm keeping an eye on this thread.

12. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Ron,

On our way back across the Pacific, my wife and I stayed at Kona Village Resort, which I can highly recommend.

There are lots of options—we chose a hale that was right on the beach so we could snorkel several times a day right from our own beach. Also we had a Jacuzzi on the porch on the beach side, so that was pretty nice as well.

This is an American plan place and the food is very good indeed. We opted for the smaller, more intimate dinning room for our evening meals. Basically we would get up go for a brief swim, have breakfast with just fantastic fruit and read the satellite version of the NYT. Then perhaps join in one of the activates or go snorkeling. Time for lunch—repeat. Dinner with a good bottle of wine. I stress again, the food is outstanding.

Extremely relaxing—the rooms have no phones and you are supposed to not use a cell phone where anyone can hear you. There is a central place for phone calls and the internet, if you are too addicted to outside world communications, but I love a place like this.

If you are into tennis, there are courts and a pro—several golf courses (if you care) are around, and the resort will arrange almost any kind of tour or activity you can imagine. But we liked the setting so much that we just stayed there.

BTW, if you think that you might want to go scuba diving, get your certification before you go. It takes too long otherwise. Of course you can snorkel without any preparation.

13. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

been there myself a few times. actually just got back from my wedding a few weeks ago.

some random thoughts.

maui and kauai are definitely less crowded. but, at the same time, there is "less" to do. i would say a big factor is how much stuff/activity you want to do. if you want a variety, oahu may actually be a nice choice.

if you do go to oahu, do *NOT* stay in waikiki. it's all touristy, the water is gross (you can actually see oil sheen in the water), and it's just crowded as hell. i mean, it's so crowded that you feel like you're driving in your hometown traffic. [​IMG]

i stayed at the ihilani hotel -- which is in ko olina. that area is "off the beaten track". not very crowded at all. but it's kinda pricey.

paradise cove is right by the ihilani hotel and is generally considered one of the better luau shows. in addition to the show and dinner, there are little side-shows and areas where you can learn/watch stuff.

oahu also has (what i consider two sides). the windward side (kailua, etc...) is much more "lush" -- you really feel like you're in hawaii driving around. it's just amazing to see the green cliffs, etc.

i've only been to kauai once, so i don't really recall it very well. i do remember liking how it wasn't crowded.

mahalo!

14. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
  15. Hugh Jackes

Hugh Jackes Supporting Actor

Hugh Jackes
    Just got back from Oahu.

We stayed in a private home, way up on the windward side, in Kahuku.

Anything that you want to do you can do (if you have the ca$h). Just be aware that it is almost impossible to be spontaneous; you can't just drop in. Practically everything a tourist might want to do requires reservations, from horseback riding, to parasailing, to a dinner cruise, to a luau. One thing that really intrigued me, but I didn't do because I tried to late to make my reservations, was shark-cage diving off Haleiwa.

No reservations required at the Arizona Memorial, but you want to get there early. We got there at 7:30 and still waited until 9:30 before our shuttle boat. It was worth the wait, though. After that, we toured the USS Bowfin (fleet submarine) and museum and then the USS Missouri. From there, Punchbowl National Cemetary was a natural extension and it was very moving, sobering, and beautiful.

If you are into this, there is a church in Honolulu that conducts Sunday services in Hawaiian. It is near the Punchbowl. We very much wanted to do this, but we visited the Arizona on Sunday morning and did not finish that up in time.

If you go to Oahu, make sure you get a burger at Kua Aina. The best I have ever had. It is sprayed with vermouth on the grill. They have outlets in Haleiwa and Honolulu (and Santa Monica).

16. Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor Supporting Actor

In April of this year we stayed at the Hilton Waikoloa Village on the Northwest coast of the Big Island and they had a dolphin encounter program that was pretty neat.

Hilton Waikoloa Village

They have mahogany canal boats and trams that take you to the area near your room and are used to get to different areas in the village for free. The place is incredible, with huge exotic swimming pools with waterfalls and a water slide on one of them.

Whichever island you choose you can probably find parasailing which is lots of fun. Bring your camera because the boat operators will take pictures with your camera of your parasailing or they will shoot a roll of film on their camera if you desire. You may parasail two at a time if you desire, or if it is windy they require two at a time.

Although the Hilton Waikoloa Village is world class beautiful, most of the west side (the dry side) of the Big Island is lava waste ugly! The village was actually built on an ugly lava flow and they did an incredible job making that section of the island a man-made tropical paradise. The east side of the Big Island is where the movie set waterfalls are located. The south side of the Big Island has a great place for snorkeling near the Captain Cook Monument on Kelakeau Bay.

I second the motion for using Blue Hawaii for the helicopter tour.

Although we had a great trip to the Big Island, we enjoyed Maui even more.

17. Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor Supporting Actor

Another note about bringing a camera when parasailing: I brought one of those cheap throwaway underwater cameras with me up on the parasail and was able to get some great shots looking down and towards the coast.

Although the quality of the images weren’t that great they became some of our most treasured pictures of the trip. The cameras only cost about $10.00. It needs to be an underwater camera because it’s recommended to let the boat operators dunk you once or twice during the parasailing.

We also brought a nicer point & shoot camera and had the boat operators take photos of us from the boat. The boat operators used about 6 different cameras on that run for the 6 couples on the boat.

If you are interested in astronomy, there is a tour on the Big Island that takes you to the world’s largest telescopes on top of Mauna Kea.

The tour takes you to the 13,792-ft. peak for sunset then back down to near the observatory’s visitor center at 10,000 ft. for a star viewing party with a tour provided telescope.

18. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

you can also do the dolphin thing on oahu. my boys did it this last round.

http://www.dolphinquest.org/

it's pretty pricey though. adults were around 200 bucks! [​IMG] i forget how much the boys were, but it was a nice chunk of change too.

but the children's package is a better deal. it's several hours and they get to touch dolphins, turtles, fish, sting-rays, etc.

i was watching the adult program, which was about 30 minutes...then that was it.