Plannin stages

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by BillSuneson, Apr 5, 2006.

1. BillSuneson

BillSuneson Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys,

Just a couple of quick questions. We have recently purchased a new home and will be closing in the next 5-6 weeks, I'm looking to build a dedicated theater in the basement and pretty much have complete flexiblity in shape, the size will be roughly 18x13 with 8 ft. ceilings.

My first question would be in relation to shape. I'm thinking about rounding the ceiling and walls to prevent any corners, will this make a difference (good or bad) in sound quality and what will the effects be from this?

Secondly, if I could make the room a little longer what would the ideal dimensions be for a theater room designed for 7.1 eventually?

Thanks,

Bill

2. Brian Osborne

Brian Osborne Stunt Coordinator

Welcome to the forums!
    I'd be careful about doing something different in the basement from the rest of the house, ie rounding the wall corners. Doing something other than whats in the rest of the house can make the transition, well awkward looking.
    Do you have a link to the builders web site so we can look at the basic shape? Might help get some additional comments about placement, shape, etc.
    If you are doing a complete from scratch Theater room, I strongly suggest In Wall speakers and a projector. The custom installed look really puts you into the movie watching experience.
    Very few of us have the ability to build the "ideal" room. This would constitute building the rest of your house around your Theater room. Design it to fit in your space, to perform the way you want, and please you. I think your 13x18 is a nice size, about what I've got with 6 large HT seats.
    There are all sorts of cool toys for those of us that have to go the extra mile. Things like Tactical Transducers, Remote lighting, motorized curtains, and even personalized theater intros in 5.1 sound!
    Check out the gallery pics in my sig line, see what I've done.
    Good Luck!

3. BillSuneson

Thanks Brian,

I already have my sound setup:

Onkyo TX-NR 900
    LSi 25's
    LSi 9's
    LSi C

Now I am considering the LSi Fx to go into 7.1.

The idea of rounding the corners was to give the room more of a open feeling. My fiancee is a pretty good artist and I was thinking a large scale painting to cover all walls and ceiling of an outdoor valley with night sky, to give the feeling of watching the movie outside.

A projector is on the way soon I just have to decide what it is I'm going to buy.

Regardless of the corners the ceiling will be curved to give the impression of looking up at the sky.

Thanks,

Bill

P.S. I will be doing the work myself as I have alot of experience working for a contractor. The only thing I won't be doing is the electrical. That is what my electrician brother is for, haha.

4. David Noll

David Noll Stunt Coordinator

Bill,
    How deep can you go? My theater is about 32' long with enough room for three rows and a bar area in the back. The bar area helps to keep the rear surrounds off the backs of the third row. Check my link below for pictures.

Good luck,

David

5. Brian Osborne

Brian Osborne Stunt Coordinator

The mural thing sounds neat. I'd avoid light colors on the ceiling, or on the front wall. Light reflections can be a distraction. I went with dark red eggshell, light texture finish on walls and a knockdown texture, flat, blackened red on the ceiling. Looks nice with the lights on and almost invisible with the lights off and projector on.
    Are the FXs the triangle speakers? if so that would be nice to help fill the gap in the sound field from front to back. Thats a nice Amp there, I went with the 803 for the HDMI thing, they perform very well.
    I wouldn't worry about the round corners effecting the acoustics of the room. Bad reflections come from large flat surfaces, your corners should only help that situation.
    Are you planning on risers at all? if so, do your layout before you order your projector. you may end up having to place your projector in a certain place and it would be terrible if that was in an aisle where someone would hit their head on it.

6. BillSuneson

Thanks for all the replies,

Brian,

The fx's are the bi-pole/di-pole speakers, yes the triangles.

I am definitly thinking about a riser to get another level of seating. The projector, i've been trying to figure out a way to embed the projector into the ceiling (in a box of some sort) and still keep the ceiling the shape I want for the mural. And I will be using dark paint, the mural will hopefully turn out to be a deep night setting.

David,

I may be able to go longer and have considered it, immediatley behind the theater is a spare bedroom that my fiancee thinks will be storage (that is what the attic is for) I've though about knocking out that wall, at least part way and installing a bar back behind (Thanks by the way that idea actually came from looking at your theater about 2 months ago.) So yes I could possibly end up near 35 feet deep.

Thanks again,

Bill