Plannign a move to the greta stae of Colorado, thing I needs to know?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by James L White, Dec 29, 2004.

1. James L White

James L White Supporting Actor

I've been looking at apartments.com to get some idea of what the price ranges are. Anyhow what's a good area around Denver or Colorado Springs without being right in town.

close to /in the moutians would be nice.
    what's a reasonable price to pay for a 1 bedroom apartment in a good but not upscale (can't afford upscale) area.

what's the job market like right now? not looking for a 6 figure job, but the equivilaant to $10 in Arkansas(10 bucks here will pay the bills if you're single and "kiddless" pay would be nice.

What sort of "startup" cost should I expect , in other words what's a good amount of money to have in order to live on (single no kids)until I land a job, inclduing auto tags, a room (hotel, what not) gas , food,etc

so any ideas would be nice

thamk for the help [​IMG]

ps please ignore the typos [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Well, denver and the springs are a ways apart, I can't speak much for the springs, don't know how the job market is there. Denver isn't too bad, I'd guestimate you'll need about 15 to live out here and equal 10 there but that's a guess [​IMG]. Gas is pretty cheap right now, about 1.73 down where I am. Car tags are spendy, it's all tax. A newer car can run 250-300 bucks and up per year. Guess I can't really think of anything else to say. There's a handfull of us around here from Denver, I'm sure they'll add more. Or ask more specific questions.

3. Philip_T

Philip_T Supporting Actor

Things to do before becoming a Coloradan:
    1)Buy an oversized SUV for those important grocery store visits.
    2)Tint windows on said vehicle so dark that no-one will be able see through, that way, you completely block out any field of vision people following you may have.
    3)Take aggressive driving classes.
    4)The middle finger salute means "hello" out here.
    5)Buy gallons of your favorite skin lotion.
    6)I think your mandated to own some kind of Mountain Bike.
    7)Prepare yourself for all sorts of 'sticker shock' experiences your bound to have.
    8)If you take up skiing/snowboarding, you should never go on the weekends, unless you like spending half the day in traffic and crowded slopes.
    9)Cutting in line is considered polite.
    10)Drinking 3-4 beers up here will feel more like 5-6 until you get acclimated.

In all seriousness, you might want to take a trip and scout out some areas that may appeal to you. I'm partial to southwest Denver myself (Littleton). Castle Rock is located between Denver and Colorado Springs and might be worth checking out. Thats where Philip_G is located. Its hard to say how much money you'll need without knowing how long you'd be job hunting and what your spending habits are, but if it were me, and I had expected to be jobless for no more than a month, I would like to have at least $2,000 for a start up fund to cover things such as 1st months rent, deposit, food, gas, etc. Rents will vary depending on where you want to live, but I believe the average is something like $700/mo for 1bdrms and $850-$900/mo for 2bdrms.

4. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

really? I didn't find denver to be such a shock, but I grew up in billings, lived in portland, north dakota etc...

Overall it is a nice place to live. I'd concntrate on highlands ranch and littleton, because it's central and there are a lot of jobs there, it's not a terrible commute over to the DTC, but I think it's worse going the opposite way, if you catch my drift.

Drivers in denver aren't so bad. But I'm a little agressive myself so [​IMG]

PT is spot on for rent, they all advirtise 1200 for a 2 bedroom, but you can get it for around 800 with incentives.

you'll probably feel a bit weird or tired for a few days if you come up. Drink some water and lay off the sauce as he mentioned. My gf came to visit right after I moved here, and we immediately went to breckenridge, which is like 9000 or 9600 feet, then took the lift up the mountain (it was summer) to walk around. I think it about killed her [​IMG]

Colorado Springs is pretty, closer to the mountains, but I really don't know a damn thing about it, I think I've been down about 4 times.

p.s. stay the fuck away from parker. Jesus that place sucks.

5. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Compared to Arkansas it will be. I saw some housing prices when I was up there a year ago and about fainted.

Colorado Springs was gorgeous but I don't know how good the job market there is. I would prefer to live there as opposed to Denver though. If I had my druthers, that is likely where I'd live. Downtown was awesome and very homie(sp?) feeling. They had a nice place to eat too for beer and pizza. There were some rather large companies there too if I recall.

6. James L White

funny, I went skiing in Breck (back in '91) and never felt sick from the altitude, in fact never felt sick during any of my 4 trips to Colorado for skiing.

Denver did come as a shock, a shock as in how amazing a city i is. [​IMG] What's the DTC?

Phillip T that first part was hilarious [​IMG] any how my spendign habbits aren't that crazy $2000 doesn't sound bad at all. [​IMG] Now just gotta sell this house and pack [​IMG] There's just no culture or well anything here. But fishing and hunting, But of court that's possibel in CO too.

7. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

DTC is the denver tech center, it's on the southern edge of denver in Englewood/Greenwood village, lots of companies and jobs in that area.. Work in it myself.

houses are a little spendy, but not nearly as bad as california or the east coast at least?

The springs wouldn't be bad, if I could stand the commute I'd consider it, houses are a little cheaper too I think. Maybe someday lightrail will run all the way down [​IMG]

8. James L White

so the South Denver is a nice area? how's the rent there?

need a roommate? [​IMG]

9. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

no, sorry [​IMG]

I'm actually moving into a new house this spring, my townhouse will be for rent, but it's going to go at 1100, you could get 2 roommies though [​IMG]

I like the south end, except for parker. philip T lives up north and to be honest I hardly ever go much further north than highland ranch.

I looked at apartments when I moved here, but ended up buying. the Windsor at Meridian apartments are decent, and priced reasonably, they're located at the southern edge of the DTC on Lincoln Ave. and I25, I think being close to I25 is important. They have a website, just google it. Anyway I could have had the large 2 bedroom apartment for 888 a month.

10. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

I'll add some support for Lakewood, West siiiide! [​IMG]

Nice area that is the gateway to the mountains on I-70/6th Ave next to Golden. Under 10 minutes and you are in downtown Denver. Very easy commute if you end up with a job in that area. Getting over to the DTC is a different story though. Probably are looking at a 35-55 minute commute during rush hour traffic. ~20 minutes normally. Around 45 minutes to get to the airport.

Rent here is very reasonable. I'm in a 1 bedroom apartment, third floor, vaulted ceiling, 850 square feet for $650/m. Most 1 bedroom apartments in this area are under $800/m.

Littleton (15 minutes away) is nice as well. I really don't like any of the areas east of Denver. And the Philips are right, Parker blows. [​IMG]

Otherwise, it is a really nice area to live in. I've been here 5 years and don't plan on moving anytime soon. The economy seems to be picking up around here as well.

Best part about the Denver area....easiest way to join the mile-high club. :b

edit: oh yeah, and coming from Arkansas, be sure to buy yourself a bulk jug of lotion at Costco once you get here. Big change in humidity. [​IMG]

11. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

why DOES parker suck so bad? I can't even put my finger on it, it's just a vast wasteland of suburban nothing, with no trees I guess.

12. Philip_T

Parker used to be really nice, about 15-20 years ago. But that was before it became said vast wasteland of suburban nothing with no trees. My brother lives out there and every time we go visit him, I wonder the same thing, why don't I like Parker? There are some nice enough homes out there, but somethings wrong. I think back when it was considered a remote town with acreage properties, it was very appealing, but since they developed the heck out of it, its just strange. Hard to explain. No offense to those fellow Parker dwelling HTFer's. :b

Jason brings up a good area to consider as well. Especially for apartments. There are tons of great apartment communities around 6th and Simms area which indeed offers great location in regards to access to the mountains and downtown. Pretty much the gateway to mountains and like Jason said, just minutes away from downtown. You may want to check out such properties as Archstone @ Red Rocks, Westhills and Silver Reef if your interested in the west side.

However, if its culture your looking for, you may want to reconcider living closer to downtown. There are some great apartments to be had in the area just south of downtown. The best apartment I ever lived in was near Broadway and 11th at the Belmont Buckingham building. Built in the early 1900's as a hotel and converted to apartments. Great units with lots of character and there is always something going on so close to downtown. Its worth a look. Great memories from living in that area. Good luck in your relocation.

13. James L White

Thanks for some info, being close to the mountians is important to me, certainly one of the reasons I paln to move to Colorado [​IMG]

a few more specific questions

1. what are some good areas for singles to hang out (cowboy clubs are fine) Not realy into the "titty bar" thing. I'd like to might a nice single female [​IMG]

2. public transportation, buses, cabs, trains, etc?

3. secret spots for locals- places where locals go? not so much a touristy place.

4. ski areas to go on the weekend, good terain but smallish crowds (you can e-mail me info on this one as to not encourage crowds [​IMG] )

5 good hiking trails in the maintains?

6 Pet friendly housing is a must.

7 any thing else I should consider (churchs, stores, etc )

14. James L White

Jason I looked the lakewood.org site 6.2% tax? [​IMG] that low comapred to here, try close to 8% looks liek a nice town. [​IMG]

15. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

most of the apartments allow dogs, denver is like the dog capitol of the world. It just costs a bit more for a deposit plus a couple bucks more rent.

the rest, I dunno. I don't ski, or hike, or any of that shit.

Lakewood is nice and close to red rocks, cool place for sure.

Public trans is Ok, I live too far south to use it much, there are busses and limited light rail.

16. Jacinto

Jacinto Second Unit

Jacinto
    I'll put in another vote for the west side of town. I live in Lakewood, just north of 285 and just east of Bear Creek Lake Park (a state park). There are tons of bike trails and golf courses right around us. There's a huge new group of apartments just across 285 from me (at Kipling and Hampden) but I can't for the life of me remember the name of the development. There's another place just north of me called the Retreat at Fox Hollow, as well as another apartment complex across Kipling on Dartmouth.

From the few times I've ridden the bus this year, I rmemeber seeing a bunch of signs inside promoting that Denver's Public Transportation was named best in the country for 2003 (according to what survey, I have no idea), so it has to be at least pretty darn good. In my area, there are some major Park-n-Ride locations at 6th Ave. and Union and Wadsworth and Hampden. You can catch the Light Rail at several locations along Santa Fe, and that can take you right into the heart of downtown.

I can't tell you anything about singles places; I haven't been part of that scene in six years. There are plenty of good churches and shopping around, and the access to the mountains from the west side can't be beat.

17. Philip_T

When looking for your apartment out here, try to get one with southern exposure. That way you won't freeze in the winter and your plants won't die.

18. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Screenwriter

(Insert disgusted grunts here)

The light rail plan is to funnel people through a downtown hub, making it even more inconvenient to use for people who want to go from region to region (or to the airport). Colorado voters annoy the shit out of me.

Brad

19. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

bah, boulder. I can smell the dirty hippies from here [​IMG]

20. James L White

[​IMG] hey I resemble that remark [​IMG] [​IMG]