Planet of the Apes: The Evolution Box Set - finally anamorphic??

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Terry H, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Terry H

Terry H Second Unit

Several places have this listed as a "new release". I can't seem to find out if it is truly new, that is finally anamorphic or merely a price drop.
    I'm suspecting price drop althought some places are listing as anamorphic. You would think at this stage of the game they could at least get that much right. [​IMG]

2. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    Only the first movie has been remastered for the 35th anniversary version this year, so it's probably just a re-issue of the original non-anamorphic set.

3. Anthony Clifton

Anthony Clifton Stunt Coordinator

The UPC symbol listed by DVD Empire seems to be the same as the original set. They also show the same artwork. [​IMG]

4. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    If I were Fox, I'd remaster the other four movies together and release a new set. The sequels by themselves don't merit special editions (IMHO)

5. Marc Fedderman

Marc Fedderman Second Unit

Just a friendly little caveat emptor:
    I saw this set along with several other Fox multi-packs at Costco today for $29.99. I remembered reading that the films were not anamorphic so I held off on buying it. It's a shame, because I would have snapped the set up at that price if the films were enhanced.

6. FrancisP

FrancisP Screenwriter

Fox could redo the other movies and create a extra disc with supplements from the other four films. Escape From The Planet of the Apes should at least have a commentary. It is an excellent film that is nearly as good as the original. I do believe that
    it deserves extras.

However I don't believe that Fox will ever do it right.
    They have proven to be thoroughly incompetent in terms
    of their dvd releases.

7. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

They could at least include the original ending of "Conquest" and the deleted "Battle" footage as supplements. All the major stars, directors and notable crewmembers are dead so a commentary track is out of the question unless they edit one together from existing audio interviews like on the 35th Anniversary DVD. Of course, Heston is alive but his appearance in "Beneath" is a glorified cameo and I doubt he'd do commentary on the sequel if he didn't do it for the original. Anyway, the movies got progressively shorter and they could probably release a set with 2 sequels per single-sided disc, "Friday the 13th"-style and they'd still probably have a plentiful bitrate for new anamorphic transfers. The two supplements from Image's "Behind" DVD that didn't make it onto the 35th Anniversary Edition was the unedited Roddy McDowall interview (it's like 2 hours long)and an alternate "Beneath" trailer. Do it like this:

Disc 1:
    "Beneath the Planet of the Apes" (anamorphic)
    "Escape from the Planet of the Apes" (anamorphic)
    Disc 2:
    "Conquest of the Planet of the Apes" (anamorphic)
    "Battle for the Planet of the Apes" (anamorphic)
    Disc 3:
    original "Conquest" ending
    deleted "Battle" footage
    sequel trailers, including alternate one for "Beneath"
    unedited Roddy McDowal "Behind" interview

Those of us who want to own all the "Apes"-related material available on DVD would be able to get rid of our Image "Behind" discs and our "Evolution" box sets and just hold onto the 35th Anniversary Edition of the first film and a new anamorphic sequel set. If they'd then release the entire animated series on DVD there'd be nothing more to ask for.

8. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

The extra footage for BATTLE FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES should actually be incorporated into the film, as it improves the movie. This is the version that has appeared on the Japanese Laserdisc collection, and it adds to the impact of the film.

Unfortunately, Charlton Heston is suffering from Alzheimer's so he would be unable to participate in a BENEATH commentary -- and as was said, his part in the sequel only really amounts to a cameo anyway. Director Ted Post is still alive, and he's always been very talkative. They could get him for a BENEATH commentary with no trouble, I would say.

9. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate

Can you describe these? What was the original ending to Conquest? And what footage was deleted from Battle?

And where is the animated series on DVD??

10. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

Reeeeeally.

There are a lot worse studios out there.

I would place Fox as being one of the most
    competent studios out there, though all of
    them seem to make a mistake now and then.

Realize that those Planet of the Apes
    sequels were amongst the very last DVDs to
    come out of Fox around Peter Staddon's arrival
    at the studio -- before they initiated a policy
    of doing "anamorphic only" releases.

I will agree with all of you that it's sort
    of odd that Fox is dropping the price on this
    set and not running off new copies in anamorphic.

From what I have always been told, Fox has
    been planning to eventually remaster the sequels
    in anamorphic. Perhaps this price drop is going
    to clear out inventory before such remastering is
    done.

The way I figure it, Apes is pretty
    hot Fox property. If a studio can recycle product
    a second time and make money, they are going
    to do it. Of course, I'm not telling you guys
    anything here that you don't know already.

11. Kramer Lowry

Kramer Lowry Second Unit

[​IMG]

12. Marc Fedderman

Marc Fedderman Second Unit

I agree with Ron, Fox has actually done a pretty good job, especially with their Studio and Noir releases.

One more thing about the Apes set I saw at Costco: it was packaged in a way that precluded seeing anything but the front of the set. With the recent explosion in widescreen tvs, I can see plenty of people buying it, playing the films, and wondering why the image is so damn small. Fox should, and I'm sure will, re-re-release these anamorphically, but whomever decided to place the sets in a long box that covers the back (probably Costco) has done consumers a real disservice. As Ron speculated, clearing out inventory seems to be the logical reason for the price drop.

13. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Not to belabor the point but I also disagree with the notion that Fox is one of the more "incompetent" studios, we all can point to at least two other major studios that regularly mess up releases, true Fox has made a few mistakes but on the whole I am very pleased with their output.

14. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    They should re-release this boxset with animorphic sequels, and the tv seies all in the set. Of course, I haven't bought any of these yet, so it wouldn't be a double dip for me.

I've been on the fence with getting the anniversary edition of the first film, mainly because I expected an updated box set. hopefully it well come to be.

15. FrancisP

FrancisP Screenwriter

Let's look at Fox's September releases. Is Fox so short of films that they are down to releasing colorized PD Sherlock Holmes films and a colorized version of House on Haunted Hill? The rest of them are for the most part direct to video releases or films that moved into the theatre one night and out the next. The only class film is The Innocents and it gets a barebones release. Fox has also failed to utilize its classic tv assets that nearly every studio is exploiting. While Fox has done a good job with its newer titles, the record on classic titles has been very spotty as of late.

16. RandallV

RandallV Second Unit

Fox has become one of the best studios regarding DVD quality. I have The Evolution and it cost me nearly $80 a few years ago. I've watched it on my standard TV many times. Thank you Fox for hours of Apes![​IMG]

17. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

The original cut of CONQUEST was rather violent, and the ending had Caesar angrily calling for blood, so to speak.
    I think he may even have had the Governor killed. But apparently, it was too severe as originally shot, and so Roddy McDowall was called back to loop some new dialogue over repetitive closeups utilizing mostly shots of Caesar's eyes, as Caesar now calls for "compassion and understanding".

As for BATTLE -- there was a whole subplot dealing with the atomic bomb (presumably the one which would later be seen in BENEATH) and the possibility that the mutants would detonate it, should they lose the battle with Ape City. Some people felt the ommission of this idea hurt the intelligence of the film and I agree. Still, it was seen on television and is available on the Japanese Laserdisc Collection from the mid-1990's.
    There were also some extra bits of business and lines of dialogue missing from the DVD version.

18. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

I think "Battle" is terrible with or without the additional footage and the shorter the running time, the better. I think the theatrical cut with seperate deleted scenes would be the way to go.

19. Peter Raber

Peter Raber Stunt Coordinator

I agree that Battle is bad. By far the worst of the original Apes movies. So, even if they re-released it I would have no interest.

Now, Conquest on the ohter hand was a brilliant movie! I would love to see the orignal cut of that. It definitely seemed a bit cobbled together with the ending shots.

I have had the Evolution set since it came out and I find it a great set. Definitely worth the price, especially if you can pick it up for $30 now.

20. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

While BATTLE is easily the least of the series (and what fifth film in any series is so great, may I ask?) it's still enjoyable enough, I think.