What's new

Planet Of The Apes is HERE! Photos Enclosed! (1 Viewer)

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Joseph, the hesitancy is about money and how much some of us have to spare. I had the tapes, then the laserdiscs (that bunch for all 5 was over 300.00), then bought the first Planet of the Apes set on dvd. I guess we all have to consider how important the films are to us. In the last few years with all the special editions coming out, I have really cut back on double/triple dipping. I look at each title individually, and consider how long since I have watched it, and is it worth it, or worth a wait. I am saving up for the new Sony projector with the full high-def resolution that came out this year (the one I have now is without an HDMI input, so I'd have to watch down-rez movies) . The cheapest I can find the projector is about 7500.00, so Planet of the Apes isn't in the cards right now.

My other problem with buying these again and spending more is the lack of good sound. The first movie and Escape and Conquest, as I mentioned earlier, were GREAT soundtracks in the theaters. They were full stereo with high-fidelity. From what I have heard, not much effort was put into the soundtracks. The first movie should be stunning where it's really a lower fidelity. I purchased the soundtrack from Film Score Monthly, and they do indeed have the music masters, the cd sounds like it was recorded today. So Fox could at least, with a set like this, remixed the music for better fidelity, considering this musical score is one of Jerry Goldsmith's fans favorites. Escape and Conquest (especially Conquest) blew me away in theaters in their first-release years!. Had they remastered the soundtracks properly, I'd have this on my shelf already.

Dave_M

Agent
Real Name
David Martin
Hopefully this hasn't been stated before, but I found an Easter Egg on the Conquest disc. Go to Special Features, then to Main, then hit up and an ape head will be highlighted. Not very long, but nice to find. My apologies if this is old news.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Dave_M, thanks for pointing that out; there's another one on ESCAPE FROM THE PLANET OF THE APES found the same way. Judging by the running times, these are the following two featurettes listed earlier in this thread by Bill GrandPre (I can't 100% confirm this until I get my PotA: 35th Anniversary Edition from DeepDiscountDVD later in the week, but it's quite likely):

Don Taylor Directs Escape from the Planet of the Apes (7:30)
found on 35th, Image and Ultimate discs

J. Lee Thompson Directs Conquest of the Planet of the Apes (1:06)
found on 35th, Image and Ultimate discs

RoyWilbury

Stunt Coordinator
I can understand to some degree the hesistancy to buy the new Apes DVD set in light of a possible HD release. Now, I'm not the least bit interested in making judgements about people and how they spend their money, but here is my advice regarding Apes DVD's versus a future HD release:

If you're going to be getting an HD-DVD and/or Blu-Ray player as soon as they come out, then it most likely is not a money issue keeping you from buying the "Legacy" set. If you can afford even the cheapest HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player when they first come out, my advice would be not to fret over $35 for the "Legacy" set, especially if you have desire to watch the Apes movies in anamorphic widescreen right now.

And of course, we have no idea when or if the Apes films will make it to an HD medium. I would imagine it is likely that it will be a year or more based on the marketing push for the current Apes DVD sets (how many people who just bought the ape head or even the Legacy set would immediately buy an "HD Legacy" set in, say, August or even November?), and the fact that we don't know how quickly the studios will dip deep into their archives immediately for HD releases.

Regarding the easter eggs on "Escape" and "Conquest", those are indeed the same items found on the Image 2-disc "Behind" set (thus it is likely the same thing found on the 35th Anniversary set as well). What I can't remember for sure is whether those little featurettes are on the old "Evolution" discs as easter eggs.

Dave_M

Agent
Real Name
David Martin
I believe that everything on Disc 1 of the Image set is on the 35th Anniversary set. Only Disc 2 of the Image set contains the extras not included elsewhere.

GregK

Screenwriter
I finally had a chance to watch the extended version of BATTLE for the first time, and while I'm all for including original theatrical cuts, this one certainly improves things. Sadly, a recent flu has left me with a nasty ear infection, so (for me) the 5.1 audio seemed to come from just one side. :frowning: Oh well, there will be later viewings..

After picking up the first non-anamorphic POTA, followed by the 2-disc Image Behind the POTA, followed yet again with a used copy of the 35th Anniversary 16x9 POTA, I too was quite leary of picking up yet another copy of the original. But I went with the legacy set to finally acquire the movie sequels in 16x9 for my widescreen set. For the price I paid, I am quite satisfied with my purchase.

andySu

Senior HTF Member

LOL

No, no it’s “Get you filthy hands of me you damn dirty ape!”:D I saw a double bill of Planet of the Apes with my dad at the “Continental” cinema in Winton hear in Bournemouth, why back in the early 1970’s wow, blew me away it did, the story was so powerful and meaningful, it does carry a message, which was pitiful for the time of the “Cold War” and the treat of a “nuclear holocaust” seemed real!

Now if no one has seen this classic Sci-Fi tail, about a world turned upside down! It’s still as powerful and meaningful as it was when first released.

andySu

Senior HTF Member

LOL

What would “Taylor” do with it stick it on the wall as trophy! Damn dirty ape!:D

I’ve seen some real corkers before man, but that takes the biscuit!:D

There is no way in hells chance, would I ever stick that in my room, not with that ape looking at me like that, gives me the creeps!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Not sure if this is mentioned anywhere in this thread, but I found these alternative DVD covers and thought I would share. They use art from the old Marvel Comics magazines from the 70s and they're really very cool:

http://pota.goatley.com/dvd/greg/

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
so what do i do with those/?

just click print using photo printing paper?

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Wow, those are some beautiful covers!! Brings back great memories of the days of collecting all the Marvel mags in the '70s!

WilliamMcK

Second Unit
Real Name
Biff
With the blu-ray 40th anniversary box set in release this may seem like a really retro question. Was the 2006 Legacy box released in both widescreen and fullscreen? I ask because I've got a copy on hold for me. I didn't purchase it because nowhere on the box (the sides or the bottom) did it say widescreen (much less anamorphically enhanced). I'm about 75% sure the set didn't have a fullscreen release, but I'll be hopping mad to get this home and find pan&scan versions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks