What's new

Planet Of The Apes is HERE! Photos Enclosed! (1 Viewer)

RoyWilbury

Stunt Coordinator
Interestingly, I was at Target today and saw the new single-disc version of the original POTA film for sale, and in the $9.44 rack no less. Somehow they apparently broke the release date by a week. They didn't have any of the other films, nor did they have the "Legacy" set.

Apparently, at least for a time, the new single-disc version of POTA will have a slipcase (which appeared to have the exact same graphics as the actual case cover, as many recent slip cases have). Since I don't have the 35th Anniversary POTA, I was a bit tempted to pick this single disc up. Of course, that would totally defeat the purpose of buying the "Legacy" set on Amazon and saving by buying all the films at once.

I usually buy new releases in person at stores, but I've already pre-ordered the "Legacy" set through Amazon since I'm doubting any retailers will have a significantly cheaper price, and more importantly, most retailers like Target and Best Buy seem to not stock a great deal of movie boxed set releases like the "Legacy" set when they come out.

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

I saw them on Sunday, also at Target, and read other reports of that one being available. I also looked for the set and didn't find it.:D

MattHR

Screenwriter

I, too, saw it there over two weeks ago. $9.44 on the impulse end-cap of the check-out lane.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
...Very interesting. Sounds like they're planning a full-court press on promoting this new edition (which is good), but I wonder:

To what extent are they intending to scale back distribution (or not) of releases like the "35th Anniversary" edition in favor of the new "Legacy" set?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I'd guess that re-issues like this slip through the pre-street cracks at big retailers. It probably gets confusing for clerks there since there are so many different versions of various titles - they probably just thought it was a DVD already available...

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Yup. Your average, wage-slave Wal-Mart or Target clockpuncher very likely doesn't even pay attention to such things (as I can attest, considering that widescreen releases are nearly impossible to procure at my local store :thumbsdown: ), and the new Apes DVDs slipping under the street-date limbo bar don't surprise me one scintilla.

Still, wish Amazon would go ahead and advance-ship my set, like they occasionally do.

Dan M

Second Unit
So how do these new anamorphic releases compare to the old ones?.......Have you had a chance to have a look at these yet Ron?

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
No official release date's been set by Fox as yet; the best projection we can make is, sometime after the Uber-Head comes and goes, after the studio makes what it can off it (broadly paraphrasing some of Ronald's comments these past few months).

Probably later in the year at the absolute earliest, and maybe into next year, would be my best guess.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc

Well, it turns out the tv-show discs in the "ultimate set" have the exact same menus and transfers as the old box-set tv-show discs had (except for new disc art). No tv-spots or additional material is included on the new discs.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Whew! I'm glad about that! Another reason I feel justified in hanging onto the older TV Series and passing on the ULTIMATE SET.

GregK

Screenwriter
I'm also eagerly awaiting a review of the audio & video, but given this thread seems to be related to the artwork, I hope Ron starts a new thread just for the DVD review itself..

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Has anyone with the discs seen the animated show? How does it look? Any word on when it will be sold separately?

James@R

Second Unit

Not necessarily. I've met quite a few people over the years who had not only never seen the film, but didn't know the twist ending. Many kids are probably in the same boat.

But while the original poster art would have been better, I think that insert is a spoiler only to those familiar with the film. Unlike the previous release, if you don't know the significance of that scene, it's not too likely to spoil anything for you. (It is, after all, just three bizarre looking spikes.)

Most people don't scrutinize inserts the same way collectors do. If they don't know the ending, they probably won't piece it together from a cursory glance at that image.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc

The cartoon series looks decent. There are scratch marks and other blemishes during the shows so it doesn't look like any type of restoration was done, but overall, it looks fine. The colors are vibrant and the episodes appear to be uncut.

I only watched a few episodes of the animated show when it originally aired in the 70's. I found it kind of dull as a kid and gave up on it. It's still nothing great, but after watching the first several episodes yesterday, it seems to have grown somewhat fun as a nostalgia thing more than anything else. Some fun comes out of the posturing and relationship between the two lead guy characters who come off as somewhat effeminate (their tight t-shirts and tight white pants just add to the amusement) as they suffer all sorts of dangers together. Their female companion "Judy" is conveniently taken away from them early on. So it's up to buff "Bill and Jeff" to fight all the dangers on their own. What a team!

I was also surprised that the show continues as one long adventure and each episode basically leads into the next episode. Some episodes don't even really conclude as it's left open for the next one. Kind of unusual for a Saturday morning cartoon show of that era, I would think. Probably another reason it was so short-lived as most kids wouldn't make the effort to watch it religiously every week and would have trouble following the story arc, even though it's basically pretty simple.

***ADDITION***

I have just watched a few more episodes of the cartoon today and I think it needs to be mentioned that some of these episodes are littered with blemishes, blips, and scratches. Episode 8 looks the worst so far and even suffers from some slight back-and-forth shaking. I really have no problem with all of this (it kind of makes them feel more "vintage"), but I know that when reviews come out, it may become a sore point amongst diehard fans expecting restoration or perfection on this series. When (or if) the stand-alone cartoon release comes out, criticism will probably even be more intense unless the cartoons are remastered in the interim (which is doubtful). Once again, these shows are totally watchable, but don't expect anything near pristine.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Incidentally, happened to be perusing the latest issue of Premiere magazine today when I noticed a full-pager advert for the "Legacy" set:

Picture the current Fox website, except with a large-ish piccy of Heston getting trussed up at his trial, with a caption along the lines of: "GET YOUR STINKING PAWS ON THIS DAMN DIRTY DVD SET!!" (Or, um, something.)

You see the five individual DVD cases arrayed out exactly as they are on the website, and what Joe K. will probably enjoy :D is the little caption right next to the Battle box -- "FEATURING THE NEVER-BEFORE-RELEASED EXTENDED VERSION," or words to that effect.

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit
It would be neat to know who gets the lowest numbers in the Ultimate "Apehead" box through Amazon.com they claim to have #1-100 available.

TimCha

Auditioning
I recieved this about a week early so I'll give a little insight to it:

It comes in a very large box with the cover art you've seen already inside that is a white inside box with the certificate on top my number is 03920 of 10000 then under is the sterophome packaging.

Inside the sterophome lies the ape head!!!!

This is one beautiful head very very nice!!

The DVDs are housed on the back side of the ape, on the shirt there is a flap of cloth that comes up that velcros back shut inside is the great 14 disc set of dvds.

The dvd packaging is very well done not like those other large sets like the alien quad. or taken with those glues that come off. The packaging is done incredibly well, there is a booklet attached which basically gives the credits to each of the discs. No plot outlines so first timers won't be ruined by that.

Right now I have watched all of the original films out of the set and the first episode of the live action TV series and am working my way through it, the films are very clear and the audio is really well done.

This is truly one great set for any Planet of the Apes fan, a must have, it was perfect for me since I didn't have any of these before but just rented them. Amazing simply amazing, enjoy it when you get it. It is a treasure!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks