What's new

Planet Of The Apes is HERE! Photos Enclosed! (1 Viewer)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the look, Ron! This is the set I will be getting. As far as the spoilerish insert for PotA goes... Well, at least its better than the original Evolution set release. From that angle on the new version... Unless you already knew, you probably wouldn't be able to identify the statue in the foreground.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Maybe it's all POV. And I'm not belittling anyone complaining about the spoiler. But it's kind of a spoiler like Darth Vader is Luke's father is a spoiler. :D

RoyWilbury

Stunt Coordinator

I understand this. My theory was that they had already decided to redesign the artwork for all of the movies rather than reuse the artwork from the "Evolution" set. In that case, they would have to redesign the artwork for the original POTA, and they would want it to match the artwork format of the other films. They were already locked into redesigning the art for the film itself, because they are also reissuing the single-disc POTA on its own along with the other films. So even if they could have done the very small amount of work to slightly alter the new single-disc POTA artwork to include mention of the second disc, this would have meant another slight redesign, and the "Legacy" set would require a special version of one of the discs in order to put the "Legacy" set together. It's much easier to use the same single-disc versions of the films that are going on sale the same day, and then also use the old "Behind" disc that they've been putting into the "Evolution" sets for years. Even if they didn't literally have old "Behind" discs on the shelves collecting dust, I would assume it would be slightly cheaper to just continue making the old "Behind" disc rather than

In the end, we're kind of arguing the same point, which was that Fox skimped. I'm not in any way trying to defend their decision, I'm obviously not at all agreeable to it. We're really just arguing the exact reasoning behind this decision. It's just a question of whether they were interested in using old stock or existing designs to avoid redesigns, or simply wanted to do the cheaper "Legacy" box on the cheap in order to make the "Ultimate" set more enticing. It's probably both. I would just guess that the inclusion of the old "Behind" disc has more to do with the less cost and effort involved, rather than a strategic decision to somehow make the "Ultimate" set more desirable.

RoyWilbury

Stunt Coordinator

I have yet to see the "extended" version. I haven't a clue what's missing or not missing from which version. But this IMDB listing is not being misinterpreted by others. This IMDB listing is what is confusing. It's not at all clear what is missing or added to which version. If everything on the list refers to things that are in the extended version and not the original version, then why are there references both to things being added/extended and things missing/deleted. Added to which version? Deleted from which version? Most of those entries don't indicate from which version things are missing, or to which version things are added.

Take these two entries for example:

13'37: the chase of the teacher of the apes is longer by 20 seconds.

1'02'18: the scene where the mutant chief calls "Sergeant York" is missing. (1 min)

I would read these two entries to mean that "chase of the teacher" is 20 seconds longer in the "extended" Japanese LD version. But then, that would meant that the second entry indicates there is a "missing scene" from the Japanese LD. The heading at the beginning of the list states that the list indicates what is "missing", presumably from the original US version. If so, that would then mean the second entry above indicates one minute that is missing from the US version, while the first entry indicates that the US version is 20 seconds longer.

The entries would make sense if they all indicated that such and such scene is missing "from the US version", and/or that such and such scene is longer "in the Japanese LD version."

RoyWilbury

Stunt Coordinator

That is the best guess at this point. Assuming the advance copy of the "Legacy" set pictured at the beginning of the thread reflects the final product, it appears that the "Legacy" set does not have the the extras from the anniversary POTA set. I suppose we won't know for sure if the "Ultimate" set has that disc until somebody cracks open an ape head set when it comes out. I would guess the "Ultimate" set does have all the extras, but then again a lot of folks though the "Legacy" set had those extras as well.

The more I think about it, while there are plenty of reasons to complain about Fox not including the full bonus disc in the "Legacy" set, I think one of the strongest reasons to complain that I haven't specifically articulated is that Fox has to know that a fair hunk of the people buying the "Legacy" set already own the "Evolution" set. Something new on that bonus disc would be nice. Then again, they probably also would figure most of those fans already own the 35th Anniversary set. When I look at it that way, though, I'm kind of surprised Fox included the bonus disc at all! It still makes me wonder if they did actually have a bunch of leftover "Behind" bonus discs from the "Evolution" sets and found a way to unload them.

Tim RP

Stunt Coordinator

This is what they've done. Go back and look at the full press release - I just did. Ultimate gets the 2-disc 35th Anni POTA, Legacy gets a 'bonus disc'. I naturally assumed the bonus disc was the second disc. Wrong.

That's fair enough and does make sense from a marketing viewpoint. But it's disappointing.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Agreed...although it now turns out that the quoted IMDB listing is simply a verbatim reposting of the deleted footage as seen here, and which could've used a fair bit of cleaning-up and general clarification on a few of the original author's points (which I attempted a month or two ago, back in the now-closed "Apes Legacy DVD" thread).

Essentially, though, every scene listed does indeed appear in the Extended TV Cut, and isn't omitted in any way, shape, or form in any of the broadcasts I've caught in recent years. Each "DELETED SCENE" notation is a deleted scene missing from the US theatrical release, not the extended version.

RoyWilbury

Stunt Coordinator

Precisely, and that's what matters at the end of the day. I do feel somewhat silly arguing why Fox is skimping on an extra that would be very easy to include, because, whatever the reasoning involved, we know the end result and the disappointment.

But, as others have said, I am ultimately happy that they have done anamorphic versions of the films and that they have made them available at a relatively reasonable price.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Not sure what other sites are doing, but Amazon has the Legacy boxset on sale right now for $34.99: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130

The separate films are $9.99 apiece, so it would actually be cheaper to buy the Legacy set than the 4 sequels separately.

Not sure what I'm going to do yet. I can't afford the Ultimate collection right now, I already have the 35th Anniv. Planet, and I want the sequels. So I may just go for Amazon's sale on the Legacy. We'll see, I guess.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Yes. In the long run, seeing will be believing for those unfamiliar with the EXTENDED cut. Watch both versions together (preferably the shorter theatrical film first, then the longer "EXTENDED" edition) and see which version you prefer and if you can readily spot anything missing from the abbreviated theatrical print. I'd bet you'd see no need to hang onto the theatrical.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson

And there we have it. There is nothing in the theatrical cut of BATTLE that is missing from the uncut expanded version. Case closed.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
That's pretty much the plan (apart from me selling or trading my "Evolution" boxed set), and the 2-hour McDowall interview from the Image Behind release notwithstanding.

Between the "35th Anniversary" DVD and either the "Legacy" set or the separate sequels (with the extended Battle cut), you're in like Flynn.

RoyWilbury

Stunt Coordinator
Can somebody confirm whether the bonus features on the 35th Anniversary set are anamorphic (when appropriate)? I was just watching my Image "Behind" set and its bonus features (which, as mentioned earlier, contains most but not all of the bonus features found on the 35th Anniversary set), and none of the widescreen bonus features like the screen test, trailers, etc. are anamorphic. If they are anamorphic on the 35th Anniversary set, that might be a bit more of an incentive to eventually get that despite already having the "Legacy" set.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
With the exception of the Edward G. Robinson makeup test (which is presented in non-anamorphic widescreen), everything else on the "35th Anniversary" DVD (the 1967 NATO Presentation, the 1968 Planet of the Apes featurette, the 1972 Heston-hosted "A Look Behind the Planet of the Apes" featurette) and the raw making-of footage ("Don Taylor Directing Escape From The Planet of the Apes" and "J. Lee Thompson Directing Conquest of the Planet of the Apes", "Planet of the Apes Dailies and Outtakes," and Roddy McDowall's on-set home movies) are all full-frame, their originally produced aspect ratio.

However, all of the Apes series theatrical trailers are shown in full 16:9 anamorphic glory, with mono sound. Also, the 2-hour documentary is in full-frame, as first broadcast on AMC, with letterboxed movie clips. Matter of fact, I'd say you're coming out slightly ahead with the "35th Anniversary" set (apart from the 1998 McDowall interview), since I don't think the trailers in the Image release were anamorphic.

RoyWilbury

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for checking on that. For some reason, I thought the NATO presentation and the '68 featurette were also widescreen. I think most of the movie clips used in those featurettes are widescreen, but maybe the newly-shot Heston "sales pitch" isn't in widescreen. I just recently watched these, but I should take another look.

The main thing that I'd like to see in anamorphic is the screen test. Seeing as that isn't anamorphic, I'm still pretty happy with the Image set and the "Legacy" set, and perhaps I'll pick up the 35th Anniversary set at some point as well.

As for the trailers, are there going to be trailers for each movie in the "Legacy" set? I can't remember. Of course, even if they are included, who knows if they'll be anamorphic.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Not a prob. :emoji_thumbsup:

As for the trailers, I'd imagine they'll probably be in there...matter of fact, each DVD in the original "Evolution" box contained all five trailers apiece, albeit in non-anamorphic. Theatrical trailers are pretty much de rigeur "bullet-points" on bare-bones DVDs nowadays.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks