What's new

Planet Of The Apes is HERE! Photos Enclosed! (1 Viewer)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
As a diehard fan, it wasn't easy to resist the "Ultimate Collection with the Ape Head", but I'm pretty sure this is what I'm going to do after all is said and done. I'll get THE LEGACY COLLECTION since I mainly want to re-buy the original five films in anamorphic (and the uncut BATTLE --- THANKS, Fox! :emoji_thumbsup: ) and I have the older TV Series Set already, plus the silly Tim Burton film (since I'm a completist).

The only reason I'd consider buying the ULTIMATE COLLECTION would be to get the cartoons, but since they're being released separately too, I'll get them that way. Besides, I already have a huge Dr. Zaius mask on a wig stand in my room! :D

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You guys may wish to hold on to those
35th Anniversary discs.

From what I see here, not all the features found
on disc 2 of the 35th Anniversary DVD were brought
over to the Legacy set.

These include:

* Rare PLANET OF THE APES dailies and outtakes
* Roddy McDowall's On-Set Movie Footage
* Original Makeup test with Edward G. Robinson
* "Making Of" Featurettes
* Still Photo Galleries

Unless they are hidden elsewhere, none of these
are listed as being on the bonus disc.

MattHR

Screenwriter
This is sure getting complicated! What's an ape fan to do?! Is there a complete list of features exclusive to a particular release, so a collector will know which discs to keep -- or needs to acquire?

So far, I can think of the following:

BATTLE FOR THE POTA (old release) = original theatrical cut
POTA (35th Anniversary 2-disc) = some extras (see Ron's post ^)
BEHIND THE POTA (Image 2-disc documentary) = several extras
POTA: THE SERIES (in "head" set) = a few extras
RETURN TO THE POTA (animated series) = exclusive to "head" set...at least for now
BATTLE FOR THE POTA (new release) = extended cut

Are there any corrections or additions to the list?

MattHR

Screenwriter
I was thinking the same thing...but there may be a method to their madness. The studios may be intentionally leaving certain features off these (and other) releases. They never really want us to have it "all" in one release. They need to leave the door open for yet another release down the line. They are also aware that if a new version fully trumps a prior release, there will undoubtedly be a flood of used discs hitting the market. The studios loathe the used disc market, since they feel it competes with their new product. By keeping a few features, however small, exclusive to a prior release, they know some collectors will not let their discs loose on the used market -- thereby (potentially) increasing the market for their new versions.

As hardcore collectors, it's frustrating because we feel compelled to have everything that has ever been released for our favorite films. Even if it means owning multiple versions of the same film -- just to have a trailer, stills file, featurette, etc. But what's an obsessed collector to do? :frowning:

RoyWilbury

Stunt Coordinator
This is pretty confusing. I can say that it appears the "Behind" documentary disc in the new "Legacy" set is identical in appearance (in terms of the artwork) to the older bare-bones version included in the "Evolution" set. It looks like it has a new menu design, though.

What I'd like to know is this: Let's assume the "Behind" doc in the new "Legacy" set is pretty much bare-bones and does not include the bonus material found on the 35th Anniversary 2-disc version of POTA. Then, can any Apes aficionado that has all of these discs tell me how much material is on the second disc of the 35th Anniversary POTA set that is not on Image's 2-disc "Behind" set?

I seem to recall when reading reviews of the 35th Anniversary POTA 2-disc set that most of the extras on the second disc were already found on Image's 2-disc "Behind" set. The only thing I can tell by looking at the lists above is that perhaps the on-set home movie footage is exclusive to the 35th Anniversary set.

I'm in the strange position of owning the old non-anamorphic "Evolution" set and the 2-disc Image release of the "Behind" documentary with the bonus footage, but not the 35th Anniversary set. I always held off on the 35th Anniversary set because I didn't yet need the anamorphic transfer, and most of the extras seemed to be repeated from Image's release. (I believe the Image set also has an exclusive in the form of a very long uncut Roddy McDowall interview). But now, I have a nice new 50-inch Panasonic plasma, so I'd like the Apes movies in anamorphic widescreen.

I considered the 14-disc ape head, but that would basically mean spending that much money for anamorphic transfers of the movies and the animated series (I already have the TV series set, and have no interest in owning the remake). Considering the anamorphic transfers can be had in boxed set form on Amazon for instance for $35, and the Ape head set is about $125, that would mean for me paying $90 for the ape head packaging and the animated series. The ape head is even less enticing for me because it appears that the discs will not be housed in keep cases or any sort of individual cases, but some sort of turn-page style of digipak.

I think I'll be happy with the new "Legacy" set (and the old "Evolution" set for the "original" cut of "Battle"), the original TV series set, the Image "Behind" set, and, when it's released, the animated series on its own. I'm still a bit wary of whether Fox will actually give the animated series a standalone release. It was originally indicated that it would be released on its own at the same time as the ape head and "Legacy" set, but then they indicated that they didn't have time to prepare a standalone release in time to get it out on the same day. I just hope they still will give it a standalone release, and in a relatively short amount of time.

Bottom line question I have is this: Assuming the bonus disc in the new "Legacy" set is just a barebones "Behind" documentary (perhaps the bonus disc from the old "Evolution" set just thrown in the new "Legacy" set), what specifically am I missing from the 35th Anniversary POTA set if I already own the Image 2-disc "Behind" set?

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
For completists, you'll need practically every release out there to have it all it seems. You need the old evoloution set to have the theatrical version of "BATTLE", you need the 2-disc "Behind" from Image for the extended Roddy interview, you need the 35th anniversary of POTA for the extras Ron mentioned are left off the new legacy set (but these extras will be in the head???), you need the older tv-series release if you want that in a keepcase, but you'll also need the head for the cartoon and also because apparently they have extras (tv spots?) on the tv-series discs that weren't on the original release of the tv-series? I can't remember and don't want to re-read all of these threads, but is Fox also re-releasing the tv-series separately in new packaging - the new discs with the extras? Or are they just keeping the old set in print (sounds more likely, but who knows). I thought I knew what I was talking about until I started typing all of this. Geez, this is really convoluted.

MattHR

Screenwriter

I was wondering about that, too. The case used for the series is rather obsolete. It seems to make sense that they'd re-release it in the now-standard slim cases. It could be reconfigured to hold all four discs in two double-slim cases -- quite a space saver. They'd probably lower the price, too. I'd bet it'll be re-released if/when the animated series is released for individual sale.

Heck, I'd even double dip of both series were combined in a single set. They could call it Planet of the Apes: The Complete Television Adventures.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
From what I remember reading on The Digital Bits (or in the old closed Apes Legacy thread), I think Fox is still planning to release the animated series...eventually. Probably during a future window following the mega-box set's initial release, similar to the Alien Quadrilogy situation.

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit
Well... I was all set for the head on this, but I'll just stick with the Legacy movies and the cartoon sets - though when is the cartoon set set to appear?

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

No it doesn't, there are scenes in the theatrical edition of "Battle" that were removed from the "extended" edition. You gain some footage but you lose some, too.

MattHR

Screenwriter
Bill: Many thanks for taking the time to post the content breakdown. If all is accurate, the results are about as I figured.

I'll probably keep my Image doc and original BFTPOTA, upgrade to the "legacy" set, then eBay the rest. I'll then keep my fingers crossed for a separate RTTPOTA release. The other extras aren't that interesting...
although it would be nice to get some "head". :wink:

RoyWilbury

Stunt Coordinator
Yep, right after I wrote about the "Behind" disc comparison, I checked my copy of "Behind" from the "Evolution" set, and the menu is indeed still the same on the disc found in the "Legacy" set. I (as well as Fox!) should have noticed the depiction on the menu screen of the old "Evolution" cover designs for all of the movies.

Considering they are charging $50 for six discs (and that's the list price; Amazon has it right now for $35) in the "Legacy" set, it's not surprising that they are skimping on the extras.

However, I think the choice of including the old "Behind" disc in the new "Legacy" set has more to do with the cost and effort it would have taken to design new case art for the bonus disc had they included the entire second disc of the 35th Anniversary version of POTA. They would not be able to use the 2-disc packaging of the 35th Anniversary set for the "Legacy" set, probably because they want the art to match from movie to movie. Therefore, they would have to design completely new case artwork for the bonus disc, because artwork for that disc alone has never existed (they didn't have to create this artwork for the "ape head" version I would guess, assuming the pictures of that set are accurate in that there are no cases for individual discs).

It was clearly easier for them to throw in the old "Behind" disc from the "Evolution" set. Then again, they could have used the old barebones artwork for the disc, and still included the version from the 35th Anniversary set, and simply put a little sticker on the box indicating additional extras are present in addition to what is listed on the old artwork.

Perhaps Fox had a bunch of old "Evolution" sets collecting dust and saw a way to both unload one of the discs from those sets and also spare the cost of redesigning the bonus disc for the "Legacy" set.

A big thanks for the extras breakdown as well! A lot of folks are simply trying to decide whether to keep the 35th Anniversary set, and that would be an easy decision for me to make. But I don't have it, so I'm deciding whether to buy that set, which, in light of already owning the Image set and having decided to get the "Legacy" set, would involve buying it just to get a few extras. This decision actually has nothing to do with the new releases coming up, this is a decision that had to be made for most a few years ago when the 35th Anniversary set was issued. Looking at the list above, it appears that the only items that are exclusive to the 35th (and ultimate/ape head) versions are:

Film reviews (text-based)
found on 35th & Ultimate discs

Theatrical Posters (:28)

Ape Merchandise (:28)

Ape Collections (:36)

(The above four extras are certainly not worth buying another 2-disc set for me)

Vintage Mego toy commercial easter egg (1:21)
found on 35th & Ultimate disc

(More interesting, but still of little consequence overall)

Planet of the Apes Teaser Trailer (2:18)
found on 35th and Ultimate discs

(Could somebody tell me what this is, and how is it different from the numerous other trailers?)

Roddy McDowall Home Movies (20:20)
Found on 35th & Ultiamte disc

(The most substantial thing missing from the discs I have, but still not enough of an enticement to me to buy the 35th Anniversary set)

Then, setting aside the animated series, the only other thing I would be missing that is completely exclusive to the "Ultimate" set are TV Spots for the TV series, which certainly isn't worth the purchae of that huge set!

So, I suppose I'll stick to the "Evolution" set (for the original cut of "Battle", although I'm only really not considering selling this old set because I would get so little for it in light of the existence of a superior version of the set available new for $35!), the Image set, the "Legacy" set, the original TV Series set, and, when it's released, the animated series as a standalone release. I can always pick up the 35th anniversary version when I find it cheap or used.

But that brings up another question: Is the single disc version of the original POTA film that is found in the "Ultimate" and "Legacy" sets also going to be released on its own (I assume it is, as all the others are being released on their own as well), and if so, will the 2-disc 35th Anniversary version remain in print?

RoyWilbury

Stunt Coordinator
I also just noticed: If you look closely, the use of the "old" cover art for the films on the "Behind" disc menu in the new "Legacy" set does make some sense, because it appears that the menu designs on the new discs utilize variations of the artwork found on the old cover art. But there's an easy explanation for this: The menu designs for all of the new discs are nearly if not entirely identical to the old menu designs! (With the exception of the "extended" notation on "Battle", and the probability that the menus are now enhance for 16 x 9).

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

Not really, they had to come up with a new design for the 1-disc "Planet of the Apes" (really just disc 1 of the 35th Anniversary edition) and they could have easily housed the 35th Anniversary disc in a 2-disc keepcase with very minimal changes to what's already in the set, they pretty much just would have had to add the descriptions of the second disc.

If the "Ultimate" set really does have the 35th Anniversary disc with all those extras then we can be certain that Fox simply decided to withold extras in the "Legacy" set to make the "Ultimate" set look better.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Actually, you read it here.

Fox will be releasing the animated series in
separate packing at a later date.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

There are no "scenes" missing from the EXTENDED CUT. There are, however a great many ADDED. You may be referring to an odd shot here or there during the battle, but your claim sounds more significant than it actually is. We've talked about this on the older thread, but I challenge anyone to watch both versions of the film back to back (the longer cut of BATTLE and then the old Theatrical Version) and then be able to tell what was missing from the LONG cut that was present on the SHORT cut. These things, if they're cut at all, are so insignificant that you can't notice.

I've seen both versions many times myself over the last few decades and these "omissions" - if there are really any anyway - are so slight and unimportant that you'd never even notice. Don't take my word for it; watch the old Theatrical version and then the Extended, and then see if you can spot where any missing material is.

Most of what you're talking about was from a dubious list over at the IMDB. They also still list Charlton Heston's year of birth as 1924 when it's really 1923, so take that into consideration!

Tim RP

Stunt Coordinator
Whilst very slightly annoying that Fox have pulled a fast one on the bonus material for the Legacy Collection, for me it just means I go back to Plan A when I figured the Legacy Collection would be a digipak.

Buy each title individually: 35th Anniversary Planet, and the new editions of the other four. For the new price it can be got for I'll also get the full Behind docu - reckon it's worth it for an alternate Beneath trailer and extra Roddy McDowall interview footage. I suppose I could get the existing theatrical cut of Battle aswell; I'll have to do some research to see if indeed it does have a few seconds of footage that isn't in the extended cut.

I've yet to get the live action tv series but will get round to it (though I am wondering how much better the dvds will be than the PAL broadcasts I have on tape from a few years ago). Not bothered about the animated series and even less bothered about the remake. The head just strikes me as a slightly naff gimmick (nor do I have the room for it).

I'm lucky in a way in having relied on my off-air tapes of the five films, behind docu and live action tv series so I can start from scratch and the only thing I'll miss out on is the presentation box for the Legacy Collection. I can live with that. I think. Maybe I could get the Legacy Collection and the 35th Anniversary Planet.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

Actually, it'd be cheaper to get the 35th Anniversary edition and the Legacy boxset, then sell the superfluous discs.

Tim RP

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Sean - thanks for the thoughts :)

Sorry if that wasn't clear - the Legacy Collection (LC) does indeed consist of keepcases in a presentation box but this wasn't known when the new dvds were announced. I thought (wrongly) that Fox would use a digipak for the LC and so therefore for some kind of feeling of added value/not have to open the digipak each time I was going watch a film, I would buy the individual titles. On Amazon prices it was only $5 more. This was Plan A. When it was made clear that the LC would be the individual titles in a presentation box I went to Plan B: buy the LC. Now Fox have shortchanged on the LC I'm back to Plan A: buy the individual titles.

Your alternate purchasing option might work except that I'll get charged import tax on the LC being delivered to the UK as it's over our oh so generous limit of £18 value. Will cost an additional 25% (this was the downside to my Plan B). For whatever I could sell the single disc Planet and Behind docu for I'd probably come out even, slightly better off at best.

Theoretically however it is possible that if you bought the LC and a 35th Anni Planet you could sell the single disc Planet and Behind docu and put your 35th Anni in the box in their place and it would fit quite nicely. Then buy and have the 2-disc Behind docu as the separate dvd set. Job done.

Ron have you got a 35th Anni to try this out with? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks