Planet of the Apes DVD review

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brad_W, Nov 15, 2001.

1. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

I watched this right after How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Here it goes:
    First and foremost the DTS on this DVD is friggin' awesome!! Definately reference quality. The scene to reference: Where Mark's ship is crashing into the planet, the surround is superb. The LFE is quite driven.
    Yes, it has a TON of features because it is a 2-disc set. Plus, for you Burton fans, there is commentary with him and Danny Elfman.
    My two complaints:
    What the hell is NUON DVD??? And why does it take a NUON Enhanced DVD player to play this? There is a whole piece to this DVD that I'll never be able to see and that sucks.
    How's the transfer you ask? HORRIBLE!! Well, for the most part it's good, but here are two parts that stick out and make me want to vomit:
    scene one (the worst scene): When Thade is being shown where Mark's ship flew through the trees and what-not by the two other apes it is horrible. The blacks suddenly become awful (not my TV or DVD player I might add) and the contrast between the characters and the background become bright and dark and muddy beyond muddy. It literally hurt my eyes when Thades face got close to the camera because of the sudden brightness change.
    scene two: during the last quarter of the movie when Thade tells Duncan's character to move out (after Thade tells Duncan's character that he just lost his father), Duncan's character screams and his mouth is totally (and too obviously) CGI! It completely stands out on the DVD. When I saw this in the theater I never even noticed it.
    Well, those are some of my thoughts on the DVD. Enjoy.
    ------------------
    "People = Sh*t" - Slipknot
    My Home Page:
    http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
    My List O' DVDs:
    http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=meshuga

2. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

3. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

I began watching this film for the first time last night. Although I didn't finish it, the crash scene in the beginning is awesome as well as the jungle surround information. I liked the sound of the score as well. I'll comment on the other aspects of the movie when I watch it in total. However, I must reiterate that the intitial impression of the sound quality of this movie is indeed awesome!!
    ------------------
    What if it gets no better than this!?!

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I have had this DVD for 3 days now but because I have been so busy, I have not had the chance to watch it yet. That is the definition of fustration.
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1
    ------------------
    My Favourite DVD's

5. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

I saw it tonight and didn't spot any such deficiencies in the transfer, but on the other hand I tend to get quite swept away by movies when viewing them for the first time so I wasn't looking for any blemishes.
    On the whole a better movie than I feared. The ending (no spoilers here) was kind of fun.
    ------------------
    /Kimmo