What's new

Planet of the Apes Blu-Ray Set - Nov. 4 (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Disappointed to hear about the packaging
however
if these are anything like the HDDVD Battlestar Galactica hubs (which it sounds like they are) then they are actually a much lower stress removal/return set-up than most digipack trays I've encountered. Their biggest problem is that they are counter-intuitive. You DON'T want to PULL UP on the discs as you would do with a typical tray set-up. Twist/screw the disc on-off the hub is all you need to do. Very low stress on the disc, and it it suspended above any surface so it shouldn't get scratched.
I actually liked these hubs on the BSG set after I understood how they worked...with the caveat that the actual carboard packaging should have been heavier duty.
I just ordered the first three single releases in the DVD Planet sale...but I may yet go back and just get the entire box set for the lower overall cost and 'completeness'. I prefer the individual cases, but given the long time I will go between viewings of these, the packaging might just be a big non-issue. I'll have to hit a b&m today to check it out.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Aside from being a space hog (taking up the space of about 30 regular BD cases they way my cabinet is) it's a rather nice set though I haven't removed any from the hubs yet. I guess I should be prepared for some aggravation.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
My set came in yesterday and I understand where all the complaints are coming from. Aside from the pretty graphic design, the ergonomics of the set are 101 kinds of suck. Although they are similar to the HD DVD BSG hubs, the BSG hubs were such that the disc would hover about 1/8-1/4" above the panels surface. This made it easy to grip around the edge so it could just be twisted on and off with one hand. The hubs here though are so shallow that I found, as Doug suggested, you need to both twist and press down (along the inner rim) at the same time. The first disc I took off was a bitch to get back on, but I got the hang for the next two.
You also have to roll your eyes at the extravegant inclusion of a slipcase that fails in it's primary function by leaving the book and discs exposed.
Oh well. Still in all, I'm happy to have HD versions of these, and considering I was able to get 5 Fox Bds for under $70 (and get $26 in store credit for my old 16:9 set to boot) it's hard to complain too much.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Anyone having trouble playing Planet in their Sony S550? I got my Netflix copy yesterday and it won't play. The animated ape intro plays and then I get the "wait" symbol, then the screen goes blank and the movie never starts. I tried it several times.

This is the first disc the 550 wouldn't play. It does fine on the Bond movies.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Still anxiously awaiting my copy to arrive (I ordered late), and I have a question: So, is this the definitive collection of the Apes movies? Is it the last set we'll have to buy?

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

No offense, but I always find this kind of question amusing. Afterall, only you can answer whether it is definite or not. It certainly won't be the last time Fox asks you to buy Planet of the Apes of that you can be certain. However, as always, it is completely up to you whether or not you 'bite' the next time they do.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

I agree with Paul; I will, however, go so far as to say that Fox is really gonna have to reach to come up with any other featurettes that would cover material still left uncovered. I think this will represent the definitive POTA release in terms of bonus materials, but of course another format will come along one day that makes Blu-ray look like VHS so, in that respect, no, it's not definitive.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'd say yes. I doubt very highly Fox will ever do another set of "Apes" that gets anywhere near this one. Top notch, with tons of features!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
My copy came in the mail yesterday, and while I haven't checked out the discs yet, the package is something else. Probably the nicest Blu-Ray package I have seen yet (despite those annoying disc hubs). When most Blu-Ray packages are way too simplistic and cheap (Indiana Jones, Wall-E), this is something impressive.

To respond to comments on my question, of course there may well be a new format that replaces Blu-Ray in the future or improves upon it, but for the foreseeable future, Blu-Ray is definitive. The 2000 DVD set was not (not even anamorphic!), and the Ape Head set (which I didn't buy) seemed a placeholder because we knew high-def was coming. Maybe someday when we have hologram discs/downloading, I will buy POTA again.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
My Sony BD-S350 struggled with this title, too. The first time I tried, I experienced the exact same problem you describe. I ejected the disc and tried again. This time it hung for awhile in the same spot, but eventually loaded the main menu and the disc then played flawlessly.

FYI, my copy is the single disc release, not the entire collection set. I assume the actual discs are the same, though.

This was the first BD that had presented any problems on my S350.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Turns out I'm glad I bought the Ape Head, since I love it and I am now able to transfer the new Blu-ray discs into it! I hate those new hubs and the new Blu packaging in general.

Dan M

Second Unit
The secret to getting the discs back on the hubs is to turn them while pressing down a bit. Almost like screwing a jar lid back on.

Works every time for me so far....

silly design though I have to admit

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

Maybe this is a dumb idea, but, I think it would a major advance for all the studios to agree on a universal hub insert that would snap into place. Aside from that one small feature, they'd be free to implement whatever custom packaging scheme they want. If a hub broke, you could simply snap in a replacement. Seems to me a reasonable request on our part, given the average price of BD special editions and boxed sets, and so much anxiety over something as trivial as a 10 cent piece of plastic.

I can't recall a single packaging issue complained about more often in these forums, and justifiably so. Second place, would go to the odd size and format of custom packaging, but that's more a cosmetic issue, than safe, dependable storage. Wouldn't this approach also be more cost effective and production efficient, after the initial step of adopting a standard?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Personally, I (like Joe above) would be a bit less concerned about the hub breaking than the disc itself breaking/cracking/chipping at the inner ring where it snaps onto the hub. I've had that happen to a few DVDs in the past (and a couple SACDs too). And at the price premium of BDs, it'd be that much more painful to have to replace them because of something like that. *PLUS* if you continue to use a badly chipped disc or one that's starting to crack (while it's still playable), you also risk damaging your player to boot. :angry:

_Man_

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

Guess I was skimming through the posts too quickly and didn't read the particular issue with the hub, especially since broken hubs are such a common gripe with custom packaging.

I've had the issue of a poorly made hub that won't release the disc without undue pressure, only once, and that was 'The Godfather' trilogy. I honestly thought the part 1 disc was going to crack, regardless of how much care was taken. It's better now after use, but not enough to avoid using great care every time.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Even if the silicone hubs weren't there and we had more safe, sturdy, and durable snap-on hubs, I still wouldn't like the packaging. This is a sloppy and potentially damaging way to present a set of movies - having them plastered up on the carboard book cover like this. I have carried the BD discs over to the cool Ape Head, and as far as I'm concerned I am only using the BD "packaging" as a bonus book to place alongside other books over at my bookcase.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

I have the Ape head too. Your right Joe, it's a good way to store the Blu-Ray discs
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.