What's new

Planet Of the Apes 2001 dvd specs !?! (1 Viewer)

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit
This is an article I found on Davisdvd today :
Quote :
Here are some early rumblings about what to expect from Tim Burton's recent remake of Planet Of The Apes when it hits DVD on 11/20.
The Fox 2-disc set should include an anamorphic transfer, both DD 5.1 and DTS audio, an audio commentary with composer Danny Elfman, an "enhanced viewing mode" including features on make-up, special effects, etc (think Matrix "white rabbit"), six featurettes ("Apes School", "Make-Up Testing", "Costume Testing", "Shooting on Location", "Scoring the Film" and "Ape Movement"), 8 interactive multi-angle scenes, 5 extended scenes, 4 make-up featurettes, the HBO Making-Of, trailers and a music video.
Official specs should arrive soon.
END QUOTE.
Wow I am excited already.
eek.gif

Can't wait for the official press-release to arrive.
It looks like another winner from Fox !!!!
------------------
There is another world....The DVD WORLD !!

Peter Staddon

Stunt Coordinator
Thats pretty accurate .. .. ..
The official announce should be out int he next day or so.
Thanks for your interest,
Peter Staddon

RicP

Screenwriter
Only thing that seems missing is the "Explain the ludicrous ending" featurette. :)
------------------
http://www.ricperrott.com
Ric Perrott - My DVD's

Hakan Powers

Stunt Coordinator
Looks like a definitive purchase!
I'm hoping the "5 extended scenes" will shed some light on the ending... :)

Dan M

Second Unit
awesome.
this is being released sooner than I thought.
can't wait to watch that ludicrous ending again
------------------

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston
Mr. Staddon,
That is great news to read that there is involvement of the composer in the extras section. Even though isolated scores are going by the way side.....the music of any film is so very important in giving the film even more character and a feel that the visuals can not always do by themselves. When we get to actually hear form the composers and get a glimpse into the creative process and collaboration between the composer and director that goes into composing a score for a film today, it is always a big plus.
Of course...I am a little bias because I am in USC's film scoring program now and beginning a career as a film/TV composer. But whenever the involvement of the composer is possible in the DVD's extras........please by all means....get them involved. :)
This will be a DVD that I will definitely purchase and perhaps....we might even watch those composer interviews in class on day.
------------------
Regards,
Brian W. Ralston
"Success is a journey, not a destination." - Unknown

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Mr. Staddon, thank you for you continued involvement in this forum. I've bought a lot of discs I've been teetering on because you, and the company behind you give us so much support and keep us informed. POTA was the only summer movie I was even considering buying, and with those specs, I'll be sure to grab it.
Only thing that seems missing is the "Explain the ludicrous ending" featurette
You can do that right now. Read the original Pierre Boulle novel, the ending is about the only thing semi-intact in the Burton version
Jeff Kleist

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
I enjoyed the film, but felt is was far from landmark like the first POA was. This movie felt more homogenized compared the other Tim Burton films. Frankly, I don't know where all the money went. As far as I can tell, the movie felt like it was made for $45-$50 million and not the report $100Mil+.. The sets felt small and the cinematography felt like it was on a small soundstage. Even the space scenes felt cheap. I was expecting something visceral and visual, but after seeing how "straight-forward" it was, I couldn'd help but think that perhaps Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin could have done a better job for less $$$. But hey - I still enjoyed it and I'm not sure Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin could have lured Helena Bonham Carter and Tim Roth to do the film.
I LIKED the ending. Even my girlfriend, whose not into SCI-FI in the least said "whoa" at the end. So, on that note, I think that Tim Burton's POA was effective for new audiences that never saw or appreciated the first film.
Hopefully, Fox will give it a 5 star treament (please no silver keepcases)
Elbert

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Could we throw on the promo show that was on Fox? Estella Warren had more screen time in that than the movie.
------------------

Jim C

Second Unit
yet another quality product from FOX - many thanks to Peter & David for delivering the goods again.

Roland G

Stunt Coordinator
I just saw the film yesterday and I can`t wait to get POTA on DVD...great movie.
The only thing that buggs me is that there is no Burton Commentary track

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit
Thanks for your post Peter , it is always good to know that
people from the studio's look in from time to time to see
what's happening.
Anyway I will be buying this movie on dvd.
Can't wait to hear that DTS soundtrack !!!
------------------

YANG

Screenwriter
"Thats pretty accurate .. .. .."
This shows that FOX is the only(maybe...) studio who really cares on what most consumers want/prefer.I guess this is why,had been top in the HTF best studio choice!

RicP

Screenwriter
You can do that right now. Read the original Pierre Boulle novel, the ending is about the only thing semi-intact in the Burton version
I know that. However, when you completely alter the rest of the film...the original ending makes no sense whatsoever anymore.
If Burton had just shot the novel, then all would be ok, however he completely altered the entire storyline and THEN decided to use Boulle's original ending, which of course in the new context...is completely inane.
The rest of the film was decent...it's a shame that Burton decided to ruin it.
------------------
http://www.ricperrott.com
Ric Perrott - My DVD's

Roland G

Stunt Coordinator
Just a question do you - the fans,
do you think it is alright if there is nothing (no comment, no nothing) included on the dvd that concerns the ending ?
I am very happy that Burton doesn`t want to explain the ending...and i really hope that there is no sequel that explains everything and i don`t want a feature that destroys the mystery of the movie..all i want to know is if it does make sense in some way...thats all..if there is an explanation or if it is total crap
ok if its total crap ..i better don`t want to know

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Hm, but do you think that ending was really what Burton wanted? I can imagine him wanting an ending that goes back to [planet name omitted] and finds that there are [species name omitted], but ...the mess that it was couldn't have come from a single mind. To go that far off the deep ends needs a committee.

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
Can we please for once do without the thread crapping. I thought this thread was about the DVD specs not about peoples opinion of the ending.
Kevin C.
------------------
If you live in the Wichita KS area and are interested in a local meet click here

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit
Please people if you want to discuss the ending of this movie please do so at the MOVIE-section.
This thread was started to discuss the specs of the upcoming
dvd of Planet Of The Apes 2001 from Fox.
Peace.....
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks