Planet of the Apes 2001-2 Days before Christmas

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chad R, Sep 10, 2001.

1. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    Fox wraps ``Apes'' DVD in Christmas ribbons
    By Scott Hettrick
    HOLLYWOOD (Variety) - Fox is planning to release Tim Burton's DVD version of ``The Planet of
    the Apes'' two days before Christmas.
    Anticipating a major hit before release, Fox had already planned to produce more than 13 hours of
    value-added material on the double-disc DVD of ``Apes'' priced at $29.98, including 28 bonus
    programs. Fox is mounting a $10 million TV, radio and online ad campaign for the video.
    Among the extra features on the DVD, most of which were shot during the filming of the movie, are
    nine behind-the-scenes/multi-angle features. There is also a feature during the movie itself, also used on
    the DVDs for ``The Matrix'' and ``The World Is Not Enough,'' which allows viewers to leave the
    movie at various points to see a behind-the-scenes featurette on the production of that particular scene.
    The enhanced viewing feature also lets viewers search cast and crew biographies or view the special
    effects.
    here's the link: http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/2001...lm-apes_1.html

2. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

I read this too. One big problem-- two days before Christmas is a Sunday. And what studio in their right mind would wait until two days before Christmas to release an A-list title like this?
    Methinks that this was a typo; from everything I've read, Fox is going to release this two days before THANKSGIVING on November 20 (which is a Tuesday, the traditional video and music release time). That way, it gets a big rental push over the four-day holiday weekend and is out just before people crowd the malls with their Xmas shopping.

3. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

13 hours of bonus material?????? Are all the DVD companies trying to top each other or something? I love extras, but yeesh.....who's going to sit through 13 hours of Apes. I'd have a hard time sitting through a 4-disc set of Star Wars: ANH, my favorite movie. Ok, that's a lie [​IMG].
    -Tom
    ------------------
    There is nothing wrong with any of the surrounds on your Forrest Gump DVD! It's ok!!!

4. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    Oooh, I just noticed what day Christmas falls on. In that cas I'd tend to agree that it was a typo and they meant Thanksgiving.
    The extras are the cool part, though.

5. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Really, and how do they think they can fit 15 hours of stuff on just 2 discs. Of course, if the extra 13 hours included the 5 Original movies, in 16x9 anamorphic, that would be great.
    ------------------
    Qui-Gon John

6. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
  7. Daniel L

Daniel L Stunt Coordinator

WRONG! The street date is November 20th for Planet of the Apes. Check the press release at DVDFile.
    Daniel L

8. Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod Second Unit

Yeah November 20 makes more sense. I'm a bit concerned at the press release claiming the Canadian MSRP price is $46.98 as aside from Criterion no discs cost that much here. I bet it'll be priced as a loss-leader around the $24 mark that is the standard for big Fox titles.
    This looks to be another stellar release from Fox. Keep up the good work Peter and everyone over at Fox.
    M.