What's new

Planet of the Apes (1968) Restoration details. (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Was there no big HD or 4K restoration release back around 2012? Is it all the same blu-Ray from 2008 or whenever?

Fox restored the film around 2012 or so but that restoration has never been released on disc or digital. It is available to repertory theaters as a DCP.

All of the Blu-rays are the same from that original release, I think 2008 could be right. And it’s not a bad release. The films generally look and sound great, and there are alternate cuts included for the last two films.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
This is the "best" set (link to Amazon on image):

It has all of the movies - the first 5, Tim Burton's version, and the latest trilogy. Currently $34.99 (the best Amazon's every had it and looks to be a PM for Best Buy). That's the set I own and recommend it highly.

If you don't mind shopping internationally, there's a good set from Amazon UK that has the first 7 movies - but no digital - for ~ $16 shipped. It's region free and actually less than the 5 movie set.

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
The only film I care about is the original. Wondering if it is worth 34.00 for the restoration?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
If you mean the ~$35 (rant moved to the "what annoys you" thread) for the box set - No. Just purchase a recently released single for that one and you'll get the same transfer as in that box set.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The only film I care about is the original. Wondering if it is worth 34.00 for the restoration?

As I said above, the new-ish restoration is not available on disc or digital. It is only available to repertory theaters as a DCP.

All disc versions are the same disc from the original release circa 2008.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I've seen that DCP and didn't notice much of a difference from the blu-ray.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, I thought I’d post here. I see there is still no news about a remastering of POTA 1968? It’s been a while and I think I’ll watch it soon. Decades TV is airing the TV series this Saturday. I always knew of it but I have never seen it. I might have seen it before, but I have no memory of it. It’s amazing Roddy McDowell came back to be in it. He had quite a run with the franchise.

I think though I’ll watch the original. I agree Josh, the current blu rays look quite good. I have not seen it on my new display, so it will be interesting to see how the 4K display processes the image.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Rick. I had not really kept up with what it means that Disney acquired 20th Century Fox. My understanding and interpretation is Robert Iger outbid competitors to buy Fox so Disney could fortify it’s position for the (at the time) coming streaming wars. This move would allow him and Disney+ to be in a position to offer Disney titles as well as many other titles. He felt it made more sense to monetize the assets through streaming over other traditional means.

So by your comment Rick, I am gathering you are saying Disney who now owns the 20th Century Fox titles will not offer their titles for comsumption through physical media and preferring the consumer to subscribe to Disney+. I for one have not gone down that route. But it still doesn’t mean Disney should not or could not take care of it’s library and maintain the quality of the films.

OK, I get it. For now we should enjoy what we have and cherish it as it’s not likely in the foreseeable future that Disney will remaster POTA for physical media.

As an aside, this is really unfortunate. It might have been more interesting had a third party been the one, such as Apple iTunes or another entity that could have made deals to be a distributor rather then outright owner of the titles. That way the once major studios like Disney could have stayed within their niche, Fox within theirs, MGM within theirs. But I understand that these studios were all under great stress and needed the influx of cash to survive. I miss the olden days of buying. 20th Century title and a MGM title and Paramount title, and even a Disney title.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Thanks Rick. I had not really kept up with what it means that Disney acquired 20th Century Fox. My understanding and interpretation is Robert Iger outbid competitors to buy Fox so Disney could fortify it’s position for the (at the time) coming streaming wars. This move would allow him and Disney+ to be in a position to offer Disney titles as well as many other titles. He felt it made more sense to monetize the assets through streaming over other traditional means.

So by your comment Rick, I am gathering you are saying Disney who now owns the 20th Century Fox titles will not offer their titles for comsumption through physical media and preferring the consumer to subscribe to Disney+. I for one have not gone down that route. But it still doesn’t mean Disney should not or could not take care of it’s library and maintain the quality of the films.

OK, I get it. For now we should enjoy what we have and cherish it as it’s not likely in the foreseeable future that Disney will remaster POTA for physical media.

As an aside, this is really unfortunate. It might have been more interesting had a third party been the one, such as Apple iTunes or another entity that could have made deals to be a distributor rather then outright owner of the titles. That way the once major studios like Disney could have stayed within their niche, Fox within theirs, MGM within theirs. But I understand that these studios were all under great stress and needed the influx of cash to survive. I miss the olden days of buying. 20th Century title and a MGM title and Paramount title, and even a Disney title.
If Disney makes money off of streaming FOX titles all they need to do is make a deal with KINO to release product - it is sad there is demand for product but Disney refuses SADLY no more geniuses like Ted Turner around - he bought film libraries then built TCM he then put the films in the care of Home Vid Geniuses like George F! Too bad Disney does not get it ---- thankfully they still have FXM and MOVIES!

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I don’t know know how this will play out, but fortunately for the Star Trek fans, for now, Paramount+ came in and funded the remastering of the Director’s Edition of Star Trek The Motion Picture and made it available to stream at first, and then after a period of time on P+, made it available as a nice blu ray 4K package of all three versions of the film. I don’t know if P+ has any input on the current 4K blu ray releases of titles, if they help fund it, but it’s nice to see it happening for now for classics. Even if the colors are controversial.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

I am concerned that, once available stock of Fox titles runs out with online vendors and actual physical retailers, they will not be replenished, and we'll be stuck with Disney+ for access to the thousands of movies in that studio's catalog. So, if you are a collector of DVD's and Blu-rays, stock up now, would be my advice.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I am concerned that, once available stock of Fox titles runs out with online vendors and actual physical retailers, they will not be replenished, and we'll be stuck with Disney+ for access to the thousands of movies in that studio's catalog.
I almost hate to call it this, but Planet of the Apes specifically is a piece of intellectual property that Disney is actively continuing to utilize. Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes is in production right now for release over Memorial Day weekend in 2024. So I think Disney will keep those titles available in physical media as long as physical media is still around. It helps them promote their new projects.

I also don't see Disney just suddenly pulling all Fox titles that currently exist out of print. It is much more likely that they will decline to release several catalog titles, just as there are big catalog titles in Disney's library that have not been released. But I don't think they're just going to throw away everything that is selling for them right now just because Fox released it.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I think Disney will keep those titles available in physical media as long as physical media is still around. It helps them promote their new projects.
Yup. I'd count on 4k releases of the original 5 films around the time of the release of the new film, if not sooner (maybe the holiday season before the new movie).

Now, the Tim Burton movie from 2001.... well, maybe that one should not be "replenished."

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Yup. I'd count on 4k releases of the original 5 films around the time of the release of the new film, if not sooner (maybe the holiday season before the new movie).

Now, the Tim Burton movie from 2001.... well, maybe that one should not be "replenished."
I believe than one has been Markie-Marked down for sometime ... ;)

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
I am concerned that, once available stock of Fox titles runs out with online vendors and actual physical retailers, they will not be replenished, and we'll be stuck with Disney+ for access to the thousands of movies in that studio's catalog. So, if you are a collector of DVD's and Blu-rays, stock up now, would be my advice.
You paint a bleak picture of the only option in the future will be streaming of Fox films.
Unfortunately, I have a bleaker picture to paint. In the future many films will not be available on a streaming platform either. They will languish, forgotten in the vaults and only the most notable of titles (e.g. the Sound of Music) will be streamed, albeit only in the current HD format.
I hope I'm wrong, but as you say stock up now, which is what I have been doing for years.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
In the future many films will not be available on a streaming platform either. They will languish, forgotten in the vaults and only the most notable of titles (e.g. the Sound of Music) will be streamed, albeit only in the current HD format.
Sounds like the days before home video, when a film left the theater, it was gone. You might see it again in three years time on TV, albeit edited and with commercials. Only films that were legendary and had massive followings, like The Wizard of Oz, would be shown regularly, like once a year, and when they were, it was an event. If you were lucky enough to live in or near a big city, you might have access to revival houses, which would show older films, but only old prints, of course.
Decades of home video, in all of its formats, brought the entire history of motion pictures to whomever wanted it. We are on the verge of losing that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks