Plane Crashed After Wing Fell Off

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jerry Almeida, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Jerry Almeida

Jerry Almeida Second Unit

Jerry Almeida
  2. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Another example of why I have such contempt for the mass media. They perceive the general population as dolts and are mandated to write everything at a sixth grade level (at least that's I recall from my college media class). Instead, they write everything at a second grade level.

3. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    Since this happened in my back yard (Orange County) I'd like to add that there was what some thought was an explosion and the FBI was brought in on the off chance it was sabotage of some kind.

So that headline is telling me, "No bomb, no terrorism, the wing just fell off." Out of context, it seems kind of dumb but if you have been following the story, it makes sense.

4. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

I don’t see that much wrong with the headline. It’s just stating the cause of the crash (planes crash for all sorts of reasons).

5. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

True points, but the root cause of the wing falling off was due to stress cracks going unnoticed during the previous airframe inspections. I would rather see a more informative headline such as:

"Hairline stress cracks cause wing failure in Seaplane crash"

A similar reporting situation was when Baltimore's city buses were crashing due to wheels falling off. The root cause was mechanics not tightening lug nuts properly, but the stories just focused on these random bus tires rolling down the streets causing mahem in the streets of Charm City.

Ok - maybe I'm just in a bad mood today [​IMG]

6. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

We now live in a world where tragedies are no longer tragedies. They are either terrorist attacks or not.

When hearing about a crash, terrorism is the first thing to hit people's minds, so the headline is just saying "Don't worry, we aren't under attack, the wing just fell off."

In a sad way, I'm sure people are thinking "Oh thank god it was only mechanical failure". That's the new world we live in.

7. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

Yeah, it would have been so much nicer if it HAD been terrorism. [​IMG]

8. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter