planar vs. traditional dome tweeters

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Matt Dolejsi, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Matt Dolejsi

Matt Dolejsi Agent

I've considered using several planar tweeter rather than the traditional morel or dayton domes on several of my projects but as i've never heard such speakers, I have no way of justifying the cost of multiple expensive planar drivers.

If anyone could enlighted me on their experiences sway me with their theorizing, I might be more inclined to try it in the future...

I know that I've just tried some dome midranges (taken from elan elite speakers) and I love them in comparison to standard cone midranges, They just seem to have alot of presence that I find new.

so...opinions on planar tweeters...and perhaps on dome midranges....

2. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

I listened to a bunch of speakers at DIY2003 DC, one of which had the Neo 3 tweeter, one used a Neo 8 for the upper midrange and a couple more had the expensive G2 ribbon. The Neo3 was pretty good and the G2 was very clear and natural, but I don't feel like they really stood out compared to the better dome tweeters I heard, like the SS 9300 or the Vifa XT. I liked the speaker with the Neo 8 but didn't get to listen very carefully. The BG RD50s in dipole line arrays... now, that was something. Anyway, I think it's hard to say whether different types of tweeters have specific sound characteristics, because of the differences in crossovers and such. Did you have specific drivers in mind? (I don't know so much about them, but maybe others will contribute.)

3. Jim Holtz

Jim Holtz Auditioning

Matt,

For excellent examples of mid dome and planar tweeter DIY speaker designs, go to Selahaudio.com and audioDIYcentral.com. You’ll find both mid dome (RC3) and planar designs at Selah. The planars are used in the Linus II line array which is where they work best. The BG Neo3 can be used as a stand alone tweeter in a conventional design but at that price point it has a lot of competition from some excellent domes that would probably offer better off axis dispersion.

The JH3 Budget 3-way is a design that is listed at audioDIYcentral.com under projects $250-$500 and has a review by a person that built it linked at the bottom. Crossover for this is also from Selah Audio. Depending on your budget, there are truly excellent sounding designs available.

Jim