plagiarism or laziness? (1 Viewer)

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
okay, plagiarism IS laziness...

but look here:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...NNERS/60126001

In a blog entry at rogerebert.com yesterday, website writer/editor Jim Emerson wrote an entry about Tom Cruise called 'Tom Cruise: Cutter and censor?'

In the first paragraph, he links to this site:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01...uth_park_axed/

I thought part of the first paragraph in Jim's blog entry and the first paragraph in the article that he linked to had some similarities that might border on plagiarism.

It basically comes down to a few words he uses, plus he uses the same quote. I think the laziness is pretty obvious... but would you consider this plagiarism, even if it's just a few words?

(and no, Tom Cruise did not send me here to write this message - I just noticed this today and it kind of irked me)

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Isn't this what a lot of bloggers do? Quote a bit of something, then link to it?

Plagiarists don't usually credit the original source, do they?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Whenever I do some research on the internet, I am always sickened that I run across 10,000 links to what I'm searching for and EVERY SINGLE site has the SAME EXACT QUOTE! :angry:

That's all people do on the net...steal stuff, then post it on their site as their own...cluttering up the net with the same old stuff that everyone else has.

Laziness? No, they're just brain dead because they can't come out with their own thoughts.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Well, it's not just that he used the same quote. He used similar language to describe that South Park episode - attempting to coax.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks