Placing subwoofer on carpeting

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Jim Mcc, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Is it a no-no to place a front firing sub. without feet on carpeting? Should I add some sort of feet? If so, where would I get them? Thanks.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    It isn't a no-no, and it probably won't make a considerable difference unless your floor is prone to vibration.

3. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

If you do choose to add them, you might find them here

4. TylerZ

TylerZ Stunt Coordinator

Good link from Jose.
    I got some from there, Parts Express, and they did a nice job of isolating the sub from the carpet because the cones penetrate thru the carpet and set on the floor below the carpet. If you type in 'spikes' you'll see they come in black, chrome, and a gold color, whatever best matches your decor.

5. John Garcia

John
    One of my previous subs seemed rather boomy, but the floor would also vibrate when anyone walked across the room too; the sub would vibrate the floor. I put spikes on that sub and there was a noticable decrease in resonance with the floor. Sound was improved, but the sub was the same. I picked up two sets of the black chrome spikes about a month ago when they were on sale. I used one set for my center channel.

6. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

I have similar floor resonance problems. What I tried a few weeks ago was to use one of my Auralex 2" thick foam panels between the sub and the floor. It made a huge difference, now the floor hardly vibrates at all and most of the bass "effect" is through the air instead. Highly recommended.

7. Himanshu_S

Himanshu_S Stunt Coordinator

My PB-10 is on the carpet and I can feel the vibration when the sub is getting a good workout but I thought that was the "amazing" experience of having a good sub. Why would you not want the floor to vibrate? Also, how did placing the subwoofer on the spikes improve the sound quality? just trying to get the best experience out of the sub.

8. John Garcia

John
    PB-10 has feet or "bumpers" already.

9. Himanshu_S

Himanshu_S Stunt Coordinator

I didn't know that. But why would you not want the floor to vibrate with the sub? How do you feel the bass if you really only feel it through the rumbling effect(vibration) from the sub?

10. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    You should feel the bass when the sound pressure wave of low frequencies "hits" you. If the floor is vibrating, that's energy taken away from the air pressure. If you want to feel vibrations at your seat, without vibrating the floor and various objects in your room (which can get cacophanous if you set off sympathic resonances with them), there are various devices available that can be attached to your seat. They seem quite popular. Of course, if you like the vibrating floor, then by all means enjoy it. This hobby is ultimately about personal enjoyment.

11. John Garcia

John

That's the idea behind a sub... The floor vibrating isn't adding anything to my experience, IMHO. [​IMG]