placing subwoofer behind couch

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Fitzgerald, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Patrick Fitzgerald

Patrick Fitzgerald Auditioning

I'm thinking of hiding my powered subwoofer in a corner behind a leather couch. The couch sits diagonally across the corner, forming an enclosed triangular area where I want to place the sub, as shown in this image (ignore the little triangles, and move the sub behind the couch):
    [​IMG]
    Will this placement affect the sound quality of the subwoofer?

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

It might be a bit muffled sitting at the throne, and this might make you over-drive the sub to get the SPLs you want in free air (with the couch in the way) if you raised the subwoofer output on the receiver. But if you were to sit on the coach, you basically have a nice bass-shaker side-effect.

You could do the trick where you place the sub near the throne and walk around your room to find where you get the most bass impact, that would be the optimal spot for the sub.

3. Patrick Fitzgerald

Patrick Fitzgerald Auditioning

Since I got married, the throne has been removed - replaced by a flowery couch up against the wall. [​IMG]
    I have a couple choices to place the sub - in the corner as indicated in the picture, or in the corner behind the sofa. Spousal-unit prefers to hide it behind the sofa.
    I did like the bass-shaker effect when it was behind the sofa, but I thought it sounded better in the other corner.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I still like the corner next to the rack because you don't lose as much bass than if you were near the opening to the sun room behind the couch.