Placing sub under equipment rack?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JonnyB, Aug 14, 2002.

1. JonnyB

JonnyB Extra

Hi folks,

I live in an apartment and unfortunately have limited options for placing my sub (HSU VT-2 on the way). I'm wondering if there are negative consequences of placing it below my equipment rack, though not actually touching anything. I have carpet floors BTW.

The "front" of the room where the TV is located is actually in the middle of a long wall, so there are no corners to place the sub. Same type of deal along the back.

Any thoughts as to my dilemma?

2. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

You don't want the sound to echo under the cabinet. It will make it sound boomy. Depending on your situation, it may not be bad. You might think about getting some acoustic foam and padding the area to eliminate unwanted reflections.

3. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Subs should be placed away from equiptment.

This is because the equiptment doesn't perform its best when it's close to strong bass. This is also why you do not want to put your equiptment in any corners where bass reinforcements occur.

Bass causes vibrations that equiptment doesn't like, but in the end it probably won't make an audible difference.

4. JonnyB

JonnyB Extra

Thanks guys, I think I've figured out a way to get this all worked out. I just ordered a Plateau SE-A4 rack which is narrow enough to allow me to place the sub beside the rack, but with about a 1' separation.