Placing a sub behind listening position

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ben F, Nov 7, 2001.

1. Ben F

Ben F Extra

Ok i'm thinking of getting the sony sa-wm40 and placing it about 1.5m behind the sofa in the rear corner.
    Does anyone have this setup?......if so can u tell me how this worked out for you compared to other positions u have tried?

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

I dont have the sony, but rearward placement can work fine. Just pay attention to the phase of the sub relative to the mains.
    TV

3. Chris Zell

Chris Zell Stunt Coordinator

I second Tom's opinion. The best sub placement I ever had was when I was forced into a small room (11 x 13 if memory serves). I had few options - so I tried it directly behind the listening futon, actually sitting in the front of a shallow closet with the folding door removed. Never had impact like that - kick drums really kicked, synth notes were heard and especially felt. And it didn't sound bloated on music. I did use (and need) some parametric EQ on the low pass to the sub using the Feedback Destroyer in my Behringer Ultracurve 8024.
    Incidently, when a friend of mine asked Floyd Toole his opinion on the best sub placement. He said "I'd sit on top of it". i was darn close to sitting on it, and it woprked out great for me. The best advice in matters such as this is: try it - what have you got to lose?
    My felling is that few folks take the time to really experiment with sub placement, xover frequency, type, slope, phase etc. and really optimize it. I even doubt the results of some fairly well known reviewers who criticize a sub, but didn't really seem to fiddle with it. Heck, I think I am guilty of that myself. I probably shoulda kept my 16-46 since it is unlikely I really optimized it fairly in the time I had. As good as it sounded, I did not really get the impact and preceived levels out of this that others have reported, and it could well have been that I did not set it up properly.
    Cheers,
    Chris

4. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

I have my Velo CT-120 in a rear corner of the room (the only corner that was available), about 4 or 5 feet from where I sit. Before moving it to this location I had it in the front of the room, not corner loaded. Placing it in the corner had a tremendous impact on the HT experience!

5. Matt Broeska

Matt Broeska Stunt Coordinator

while i can't say i've experimented with different room placements (the only place in my living room where the sub fits is the rear left corner, beside the couch) i have no complaints. bass isn't easily localizeable and in fact the only time i can tell where it's coming from is when it's thunderous enough that the floor shakes and i can say, "yup, it's coming from over there."
    ------------------
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

6. Ben F

Ben F Extra

Thanx for the advice guys.
    Just another question, my lounge has a tiled floor, how would this affect the sub output compared to a wooden floor??