places to buy blank media online?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Christ Reynolds, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i'm looking for a place that i can get the verbatim DVD+R 4x spindle of 50 disks, but nobody seems to have them. ive tried ebay, and a few online stores too. all i can find are the older 2.4x disks. i need a lot of these things, and i dont want to buy them by the 15 pack at best buy, even if they had them anymore. anyone know of good places to buy blank media online?

CJ

2. Reece

Reece Stunt Coordinator

I've always had good luck with Rima. They are a very reliable site and they have a good selection of blank media even the famed Ritek GO3s.

3. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    thanks for the replies, rima didnt have the discs i am looking for, and supermediastore had the verbatim discs, but they appear to be the old 2.4 ones in the image. although it says they are 2.4 and 4 compatible. argh! how hard is it to find these discs, ive had an easier time tracking down the spinal tap criterion disc!

CJ

4. Rob Landolfi

Rob Landolfi Stunt Coordinator

Give Meritline a try:Meritline: DVD +R/RW . I've had good luck with their -R offerings, and they seem to carry everything.

5. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

You guys seem to have specific media in mind- I'm wondering where you got the info on what is best to use? I'm looking to buy my first spindle of DVD-Rs for my Sony burner- and have no idea what media to choose, or where is the place to buy.

It seems like prices are all over the place- and I've seen no comprehensve guide to media types...

-Vince

6. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Vince (new to the scene this past few months or so myself), recommended price/performance DVD-Rs are Ritek G04s (for 4X recording) or Ritek G03's for 1x recording (about 25 cents cheaper a disc if you are willing to wait). DON'T buy cheap media. G03 runs about 85ish cents apiece in a spindle, and G04 runs about $1.10-$1.20ish.

I bought a 50pk of G04's from Newegg the other day for $55.

For archival DVD-Rs, Taiyo Yuden (sp?) DVD-Rs are about $2.xx, and are highly regarded. Also, some authentic Pioneers were about $4 a pop and apparently super-excellent. But now Pioneer has stopped making them, and endorses OEM-approved Piodata DVD-Rs instead, which are iffy.
    Riteks are very highly regarded and cost efficient.

When it comes to retail, ignore the brand names and concentrate on the makers. Just like CD-Rs, most of the gazillion brand names are made by a dozen or so makers. If you check dvdrhelp.com, they have listings of the different brands and what kinds of discs they are.

I'm not that up on the good media for +Rs, though, as I'm sticking with -Rs for compatibility reasons.

7. Greg_L_C

Greg_L_C Stunt Coordinator

Check out Sams Club. I buy the Verbatim +R 4x 20 pack with slim cases for about $38. Never had a coaster with Verbatim
    I think the -R are the same price.

Vince, check out DVDRHelp.com. Good site with people posting their results of Brands of media with drives.

Greg

8. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ