Places to buy and find DVD-Audio and SACD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith Mickunas, Dec 31, 2002.

1. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I know this has come up a few times, its just hard to search through all the threads and find anything recent. I'm looking for two things, they may be distinct or the same.

Where's a good place to easily find a list of what's available in each format? Most of the sites I've visited looking for SACD have them mixed with the CDs. This isn't very convenient when you don't know what's out there.

Second, what places do you all recommend for purchasing? I've visited J&R, Amazon, CD Universe online, and I've looked at Best Buy and Fry's. With the two local stores, I found their selections to be quite small on both counts. With the online places some have good prices, but not great availablity. Nor can I find one with good indexes. DVD Empire has a good listing for DVD-Audio, and I'd like to find something similar for SACD.

So any suggestions? I've got a DVD-Audio player and a handful of discs so far, and I'm getting a universal player in a week or so, just as soon as my dealer gets the new Yamaha in. So I'm anxious to get some SACD and see what its like.

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Keith, here are some good web sites for ordering SACDs and DVD-Audio discs:
    www.amusicdirect.com
    www.acousticsounds.com
    www.elusivedisc.com
    www.circuitcity.com
    www.towerrecords.com
    In my area, Circuit City stores have a paltry selection of SACDs and DVD-Audio discs. Best Buy is better on both counts, and Tower Records tends to be the best. If you near a large city, check out Tower Records and Virgin Megastores.
    A good site for listings of available SACDs and DVD-Audio discs is www.highfidelityreview.com .

3. Michael St. Clair