Placement & Sound Absorbtion...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AaronD, Mar 14, 2002.

1. AaronD

AaronD Stunt Coordinator

I'm moving into a new place, it's a townhouse apartment with two levels and it's the outside unit. My inquiry is this.... I've got two possible places the HT could go, either upstairs or downstairs. The upstairs space is shared with the dinning room but has a bedroom between it and the shared wall of the next unit. The other place is downstairs in the 'family room', and it shares a wall with the adjacent unit. The shared wall in the family room is a poured concrete wall (it's finished though). I'd really like to put it downstairs, as the space is more suited to the HT. However, I'm worried about the shared wall letting too much sound to the neighbors, something I wouldn't have if it were upstairs. Since the wall is poured concrete can I expect it to not be as bad as I think? Concrete should provide a good amount of 'protection' for the neighbors shouldn't it?
    My system isn't huge but it's not weak either... I've got B&W 600 series all around (ultimately) with an HK AVR-310 receiver and I would like to add a nice 10" sub eventually (currently using an 8" from an AR HC6 set).
    So what do you think, where would *you* put it for less 'annoyability' to the neighbors?
    Thanks!
    Aaron
    p.s. This forum may not be the correct one for this post, but I figured it'd be the closest...

2. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Could you try out multiple configurations and see how loud they were in your neighbor's apartment before you finalized on a placement strategy? If I were you, I would put it downstairs, with the front wall (i.e., the wall on which the TV goes) being diametrically opposite the wall shared with the neighbor. Also, wall hangings/rugs on the shared wall might help. I wish I could do tis in my apartment - I'm upstairs, my speakers are against the shared wall, which is made of wood. Can't think of a worse combination [​IMG] I've asked my neighbor several times though, and she says she can't hear a thing, so... I guess I'm OK.

3. AaronD

AaronD Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the reply... I was planning on putting my mains on the opposite wall if at all possible, and the sub as far as possible too. I'd much rather have my gear downstairs, so I think I'll give it a try.
    And as far as my neighbors go, I haven't met them yet... Although I plan to say hi and explain the situation before I start calibrating [​IMG]
    I've been real lucky in my current apartment, either my neighbors just don't care or really can't hear it. I can hear other peoples stuff though. I wont ever complain about my neighbors if they don't complain about me. I totally understand their needs [​IMG]
    Thanks,
    Aaron