placement problem, what to do!

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by stephanX, May 8, 2005.

1. stephanX

stephanX Stunt Coordinator

im in a small room, and have two energy c-1 booksehlvs and a ported atlas 15" subwoofer. Now heres my problem, for some CRAZY reason, wherever you put any loudspeaker that makes bass, you can only hear the bass on the exact opposite side of the room. This is fine when i use a sub, becuase its on the other side of the room, but when im just using my speakers( usually about 2-6 feet away), NO MORE BASS...unless of course i was to listen to music sitting in my closet. anyway my room is an acoustic nightmare, someone help me, i need some bass up front. BTW i know the extension of my c-1s, i get usable output in my room at 40hzish. Oh yeah my room is roughly 12x9 or 12x10', if people need pictures to see how my setup is placed, i can get them.

2. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

I'd suggest setting your c-1 size to small (in the receiver) so the sub is handling ALL lfe and get rid of the bass cancelation you're probably experiencing.

3. stephanX

reciever is basic stereo, its analogue, no digital nothing. also with the sub on i get fine bass, no cancellation, with the sub off i have issues getting bass fro mspeakers, it isnt cause im runnig my sub hot neither, i run it 3db hot for movies and flat for music.
    the extension and voluem is actually better at the other side of the room for some odd reason.

4. John S

John S Producer

The tow in/out of your fronts does not help at all????

Usually this will help this sort of thing, and sometimes not even that much tow in or out has a large impact.

5. stephanX

nothin man, its just WEIRD, maybe a phase issue? i tried putting one energy in my closet
    and sitting where i usually sit
    and BAM
    bass all the way down to the mid 40s
    it was VERY there too

6. John S

John S Producer

I think you will be forced to accousticaly treat the room.

7. stephanX

...meaning? bass traps? ripping up carpet? i am probably ripping up the carpet soon anyway.

8. John S

John S Producer

Hmm, more wall treatments...

Often times, just a decent thick curtain on a rod covering an opposing wall can work wonders.

The walls are your issue on this one as I think your getting cancellation out in the middle of the room.

9. stephanX

hmm, well it would make getting to the closet a bit awkward, but maybe ill try it, could i just tape it to the wall for now? and do i need something like a bedsheet or something like a blanket?

10. John S

John S Producer

Blanket. You could try to tape it. If there is improvement, I'd look into hanging it from rods. It works better when there is some space behind it is all.