What's new

Placement of wires (1 Viewer)

Jereme D

Stunt Coordinator
What is the best way to keep wires organized? And, where should they be in relation to one another?

Right now, I have the wire for my main speakers attached to clips on the wall so that they are not on the floor. I have grouped my other speaker wires into a big bundle as they get close to my receiver. I have all of my power cords in a bundle as well. Is this good?

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
I don't bundle any of my wires, they are all free flowing. There are some people here that bundle them in very tidy bunches.

JerryW

Supporting Actor
I bundle wires and cables of the same types, speaker cable w/ speaker cables, digital w/ digital, video w/ video, analog audio w/... well, you get the idea. I can't tell any difference in the sound, and it cleans up the back of my rack.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
There is a little known codicle of Murphys Law that applies to neatly bundled cables:
Within a few days of neatly bundling your cables, some device will go out and the replacement will have connections somewhere different than the original requireing you to un-do all the neat bundles.
:)
Here is what I do (if this is any help)
The receiver/amp is on the bottom of the rack. This allows all those speaker wires to flow out onto the ground and not obscure anything or come near the other wires.
The power cables run to one side of the rack and are bundled loosly with 2-3 velcro straps.
The interconnects are allowed to flow down the middle of the rack. I use velcro straps or split-loom tubing to loosly bundle them together.
And of course, a week after bundling things to get ready for a party, I could no longer record something on my VCR. Guess what? With all the cables in tubing, it's really hard to tell what cable comes/goes where.
If you decide to bundle or use tubing, I strongly suggest you get some small wire labels and label each end of your interconnects with A/B/C.. types of codes. Dont get fancy trying to use codes for audio/video or RCA vs SVideo. A simple A/B/C scheme solves the problem.
Good Luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks