What's new

Placement of subwoofer in comparison to left main. (1 Viewer)

Will there be any acoustical problems with my subwoofer about 6 inches behind my left main? I have it set this way with the subwoofer in the corner and was just wondering if this is somthing i shouldn't do.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
What's more important, is once you have a spot that you think is OK for your sub, is to properly adjust the phase of your sub with respect to your 2 front speakers.

You can do this with Avia, or with a discrete tone test CD and an SPL meter.

Because of the crossover in your receiver/pre-pro, and even the crossovers in your mains, there no way you just place a sub and not worry about the phase.

*Any* kind of filter, whether it be a crossover, low pass or high pass filter, or even an external EQ, can subtle change the phase between your mains and sub.

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
even an external EQ, can subtle change the phase between your mains and sub.
That's interesting, Kevin. I need to run some tests with inverting the phase on my sub. My receiver has no variable xover (fixed at 80 hz) and my sub does not have a phase adjust (Samson 700 to 20-39cs). So my only option is a 180 phase shift by reversing the inputs.

I just put in a BFD1124p parametric eq and feel the need to tweak a bit more.

My sub only has 0 and 180 phase also. But I have ran a test with the sound and vision dvd and it sounds in phase to me.

THanks

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
John- Be careful: :)
When I tried to adjust the phase by "listening", (I used Avia), I was completely off.
I got it right only by using a discrete tone test disc, and measuring the response below, through, and above the crossover point with an SPL meter. (Sub+mains output must be higher than that of the sub by itself, and the mains by themselves.)
(Basically, by ear, with the correct phase, I felt the bass was too "boomy." So I adjusted to an "off-phase" value. I didn't get the "boominess" taken care of until I got an eq to tame the low freq/room induced peaks I had.)
Rick- Yuppers! That's what motiovated me... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks