Placement of subwoofer in comparison to left main.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Fishburn, Feb 2, 2002.

1. John Fishburn

Will there be any acoustical problems with my subwoofer about 6 inches behind my left main? I have it set this way with the subwoofer in the corner and was just wondering if this is somthing i shouldn't do.

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

What's more important, is once you have a spot that you think is OK for your sub, is to properly adjust the phase of your sub with respect to your 2 front speakers.

You can do this with Avia, or with a discrete tone test CD and an SPL meter.

Because of the crossover in your receiver/pre-pro, and even the crossovers in your mains, there no way you just place a sub and not worry about the phase.

*Any* kind of filter, whether it be a crossover, low pass or high pass filter, or even an external EQ, can subtle change the phase between your mains and sub.

3. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

4. John Fishburn

My sub only has 0 and 180 phase also. But I have ran a test with the sound and vision dvd and it sounds in phase to me.

THanks

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

John- Be careful: [​IMG]
    When I tried to adjust the phase by "listening", (I used Avia), I was completely off.
    I got it right only by using a discrete tone test disc, and measuring the response below, through, and above the crossover point with an SPL meter. (Sub+mains output must be higher than that of the sub by itself, and the mains by themselves.)
    (Basically, by ear, with the correct phase, I felt the bass was too "boomy." So I adjusted to an "off-phase" value. I didn't get the "boominess" taken care of until I got an eq to tame the low freq/room induced peaks I had.)
    Rick- Yuppers! That's what motiovated me... [​IMG]