placement of sub next to floor speaker

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by JasonBenway, Jun 21, 2005.

1. JasonBenway

JasonBenway Agent

Right now I looks like I'm going to have to put my sub right next to my front right speaker, if I want to have the sub in the corner. They will be about 10 inches apart.

I haven't purchased anything yet, I just want to know if putting the speakers that close together will be an issue.

Thank you
    jb

2. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Your fine with that. The quality of deep bass in your room may change with sub position, but the proximity to one of the mains per se does not cause a problem.

3. Victor Ferguson

Victor Ferguson Stunt Coordinator

Its not always a good idea to have the sub in the corner. As far as how close it is to a speaker should make no difference. Subs are very picky about where they are placed and corner placement will exaggerate the dips/peaks in response. I would suggest you try other placements as well and not limit yourself to the corner.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Corner is usually the best place to start, but Victor is correct that it isn't always the best spot in every room. Most notably, if you have a boomy sub, a corner can actually make it worse - I've found this to be fairly consistent.

I agree about not limiting yourself to that corner, but give it a shot and see how it sounds. 10" away should not be a problem with most speakers. If you have to jam the sub right against the wall, I'd say look for another spot.