Placement of Satellite speakers?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by mikeHende, May 8, 2005.

1. mikeHende

mikeHende Agent

My living room is rectangular in shape, from what I've read about placement of the 5 satelite speakers, 3 goes in front of you facing you and the other 2 in the rear goes on the left and right wall at ear height, problem here is that my couches are "on the wall" and not in the middle of the room so if I were to place a speaker at ear height, it would be 5 inches away from my ear.
    Where on the left and right wall in the rear can I now put those 2 rear speakers? I am thinking of getting swivel brackets and placing them like 2' behind me and 2' up on the wall above my head facing downwards towards my ear, will this work or any other tips/advice please?

2. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
    I had a small theater in my basement. My seats were up against the back wall, so I mounted the speakers about 2' up as you are thinking about. Here is a picture. After I calibrated the system the rear speakers were set about 3-4db quieter than the fronts. The surround is not supposed to draw your attention from the action on the screen, just enhance it. I could tell that the sound was coming from above if I listened for it, but if I was really into the movie I did not notice.

3. mikeHende

mikeHende Agent

Hey, deeply appreciate the pics, I'm almost in the same situation except that my couches are not at the back of the room, they are at the sides both left and right of the room so my situation would be like the couch you have closest to the right side of your pic only picture that couch in the middle of the room but on the same wall.

Yes, that's almost how I am thinking of placing the satelite speaker like the one you have on the right side wall of your pic, it will be the same height but just 2' back so this is what I am asking, should the speaker be directly above the couch like in yours or would it be better like 2' "behind" the couch or my head?

4. John S

John S Producer

Even though ear level is best.. There is some interesting aspects about mounting speakers to the walls at cieling level, I even may actually prefer it this way, I no longer run this way, and almost miss it sometimes.

5. mikeHende

mikeHende Agent

appreciate the input but I still have to decide if to place the satelite "over" the couch or my head as in the pic or "behind" my head?

6. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
    Mike,
    The reason I had mine on the sides facing in, was so all the seats could hear it. If I had them directly behind the seat facing forward, then the people on the other side of the room might not hear it as well. I added some DIY acoustic panels to help stop the sound from bouncing back and forth.
    If you can, experiment.
    Dave