Placement of quadpolar surrounds

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike-H, Sep 29, 2001.

1. Mike-H

Mike-H Agent

I just got an Axiom speakers package with their QS4 quadpolar surrounds: http://axiomaudio.com/1QS4.html
    Where should these surrounds be placed? Side walls or back walls? How high? I am going to use the mounting brackets that came with them. One problem I have with side wall mounting is one would have to be 7' high to be above the openings to the kitchen. So, it could be side walls at 7' or rear wall at any height.
    Any thoughts?

2. Mike-H

Mike-H Agent

What about surrounds in general - side is preferred, right? What about 7' high, is that too high? Would lower on the back wall be better than high on the side walls?

3. Dan_Myers

Dan_Myers Agent

On the side walls at 7' would work great! I believe with bipolars you want to put them just a bit in front of your listening spot.
    ------------------
    - Dan

4. Alex F.

Alex F. Second Unit

Seven-feet high on the side walls is ideal in most rooms. Since the Axioms are hybrid bipolar/dipolar speakers, they would work best when located directly to the sides or several inches BEHIND your ears when seated. In my experience, side-wall mounting of bipoles and dipoles creates a more enveloping soundfield than a back-wall location.
    For safety's sake, try to avoid placing the unit directly over the spot where heads of family members pass through that kitchen doorway. If this is unavoidable, add a few strands of safety wire (e.g., heavy-duty picture-frame wire) to the installation. The wire should be wrapped around heavy-duty steel screws (with washers) affixed to the speaker and a wall stud. Of course, the wire should be sufficiently short so that the unit wouldn't fall or swing down low enough to hit someone on the noggin. Pardon my stating the obvious, but I've heard stories...
    [Edited last by Alex F. on October 01, 2001 at 10:39 AM]

5. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Mike-H,
    How do those QS4s sound? I was considering them a while back, but went with the M3s in the rear instead.
    Ron

6. Mike-H

Mike-H Agent

Well, I have three different opinions. On the side slightly in front of seating position. On the side slightly behind seating position. And from the Axiom "president and chief engineer" himself, side OR back slightly behing the seating position. http://207.228.226.248/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=first&Number=265&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&vc=1 Then I might attemp some calibration which I have never done before. I have Avia, VE, and a SPL meter - all of which I have never used before. I am going to have to take a vacation day to get some time to spend with this stuff.