What's new

Placement of Center Channel? (1 Viewer)

JeffCarbello

Auditioning
I have a new TV, Sony 60" SXRD HDTV RP (KDS60A3000), which replaces my 10 yr old Sony 53 XBR SD RP. The older TV used to be floor standing and the speaker had to be placed above the TV due the furniture I had.

But with the new TV, my new furniture is just a TV stand. So the speaker can be mounted anywhere on the wall behind the TV.

I know that the best position for a center channel is behind the screen, but this is really only possible if you have a FP system. The next best position would be right below the TV, but my speaker is too big to fit in the TV stand I have. I do have the flexibility to mount it a bit below the top of the TV behind it so that maybe only 2-3 inches of the speaker top shows from the front view of the TV. But my question for you experts is will the back of the TV cause the sound to diffuse and cause it to sound flatter? It will probably be only a few inches from the back of the TV.

The other option would be to just mount it above the TV which is way above audience ear level, but I have heard that one can point the speaker slightly downward to direct the sound at ear level. Is this a better option?

The center speaker I have is about 7 yrs old (Klipsch KLF-C7) and is very big and heavy (38 lbs).

Also I am curious how long should speakers last before they start losing the quality of sound they hand when first bought? Does it depend on use?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
NEVER block a speaker. Never. So, behind the TV and partially obscured? Absolutely not. Your best option is probably above the TV, as close to the top of the TV as possible. Personally, the only time I put a center under the TV is when the TV is high, such as over a fireplace, which a lot of houses do these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks